Annabeth

Annabeth had always wanted to see the Gateway Arch. It wasn't just a building, it was a work of art, and one that she wasn't missing the opportunity to visit. After all, she may never have the chance again.

So, being the annoying sleep-disrupting architect she was, she dragged the boys off the train when they made a stop.

She couldn't help it.

What she didn't expect was that Grian, the prankster with a British accent, would appreciate it as well.

While Annabeth went on and on about it, Grian seemed to be the only one interested. She wouldn't have cared if all he was thinking about was the snack bar, like Percy and Grover, but she was still surprised.

At Annabeth's insistence, the four piled into the elevator to the top.

Thalia would have hated being up here.

Annabeth pushed her friend out of her head and took in the view.

"I don't think I'm supposed to be up this high," Percy said nervously.

"It smells like monsters," Grover whimpered.

"This would be a great place to make an elytra course," Grian said. "We could have it go through the archway, and around a post thing, and ALSO, maybe we could have HOOPS."

"What's an elytra?" Annabeth said. If she remembered right, elytra were the shells covering beetle wings. But the way he was saying it seemed much more important (and interesting) than insects.

"Never mind," Grian said quickly.

Annabeth couldn't figure out those seven people who had come right after Percy did. They were fascinated by mechanics, physics, and engineering, but were not impressed in the slightest by the magic. It made no sense.

She though she would be able to piece them together when Zedaph was claimed as a son of Athena, but it turned out he was just as good at hiding his thoughts as she was.

It made her very angry.

Grian, however, was not very good at hiding his thoughts. He had an open fascination with everything and anything. Like the normal stuff was the magic, not the actual magic. This guy needed to get his priorities straight.

"This would be a lot funner if we weren't on a deadly quest," Percy complained.

Grover snorted. "Good luck with that."

"Deadly quests are kind of the definition of being a demigod," Grian agreed.

After another few minutes, they started for the elevator. Grian and Grover were inside, but before Percy and Annabeth could join them, the security guard there stopped them. "No more room. Wait for the next one."

Grover started to get out of the elevator. "We can stay-"

"No," Percy insisted. "We'll be fine."

"But-" Grian said.

And the doors closed.

Annabeth was fine staying there, for the most part. But Percy was there, so it sucked a little more.

An old lady's dog started yapping wildly at them. The lady pulled on the leash. "Down, sonny."

"Sonny," Percy echoed. "Is that its name?"

"No," the lady said with a smile.

Months of being alone in the real world with Luke and Thalia had taught Annabeth never to trust anyone. And this lady's smile was too sweet, her voice too sugary, her dog too loud.