Ren

Ren was an idiot. He knew that now.

Well, he had always known that.

He had never really been afraid of spiders. He had killed thousands of them back home, and he knew that all the other Hermits had ahs well. And those ones were half the size of the Hermits themselves. These were tiny compared to them.

But Annabeth was very obviously scared of spiders, and she was screaming her head off.

That was all Ren could concentrate on. Stupid people and their stupid arachnophobia- wait, not stupid. Annabeth was far from stupid.

Unlike Ren.

But hey, the shield was cool.

"Live to HephaestusTV in 60, 59, 58..."

"Oh no, now we're gonna be on TV?" Percy yelled, pulling out his sword. Several creepy-crawlies flew to the side."

"Why did you touch the stupid shield?" Zedaph yelled. His sword was out as well, but he looked a little green to the face.

"I'm sorry!" Ren moaned. "I didn't mean to!"

"OW!" Bdubs yelled from up top.

Annabeth stopped screaming once she realized that the spiders couldn't get to her. Then she started up again when she saw that they very much could get to the demigods in the pool.

"45, 44, 43..."

It sounded like a bomb.

Ren had had bad experiences with bombs. He had yet to meet a Hermit who had met Grian and hadn't.

The only person making any progress against the spiders was Tango, and that was probably because this trap had been made by his dad.

It was still weird to think about it that way.

"Everyone, get ready for a very painful waterslide!" Percy yelled.

"WHAT?" Someone screamed back.

Up at the top, Gem got tired of Annabeth screaming and clapped a hand over her mouth. "That's enough," she said calmly. "Your vocal chords are probably tired."

"But- but spiders-"

"Someone give me an elytra! I wanna kinetic energy this thing!"

"I am not giving you an elytra!"

"I don't have an elytra! What the heck is an elytra?"

"Too dangerous!"

"SHUT UP ABOUT DANGEROUS, GEM!"

"SHUT UP ABOUT ELYTRA, GRIAN!"

"STOP COMPLAINING, YOU'RE NOT-" Ren started before he was silenced by a torrent of water.

It was nothing like water back in Hermitcraft. This was not the water that would stay calm no matter how many people boated on it.

This was the water that hit him like a freaking wall.

Ren didn't even have time to think before he panicked.

Nobody ever drowned except for Scar. That was a fact of life.

Something grabbed Ren's arm and pulled him down- wait, no, up. It had to be up, because air didn't go down.

Ren gasped for air, then started coughing as Tango pulled him onto the boat.

They were in a tunnel, rushing with the water past pictures of mortal things that Ren didn't know the meaning of. The boat was swamped and crowded - probably because there were four people instead of the intended two.