Ren

Ren heard Percy call after him.

He didn't answer.

Ren suspected that maybe he didn't know the full story, but he had trusted Percy to keep a secret.

Evidently, that trust should not have been placed.

Ren, Grian, and Gem had run after the Fury that had taken Scar, not realizing the others weren't behind them until the other two Furies stealth-attacked and grabbed Grian and Gem. They hadn't managed to get Ren, though, so he went for help.

Instead, he found Percy telling Annabeth their secret at the first chance he got.

Fine, I guess I'll have to kill some Furies on my own.

Was this an irrational and reckless decision? Definitely.

Would he die from it?

Ren stopped.

Probably.

Why do you never think about anything?

Ren glanced back toward where he had left Percy, Annabeth, and Grover.

Maybe he needed them. Just a little bit.

But his pride wouldn't allow it. Ren was going to do this alone... or not at all.

Nobody stopped him from walking into the palace. Skeleton guards in mortal, demigod, and even (rarely) Minecraft armor stared at Ren with empty eyes, but they didn't attack.

Ren walked into what seemed like the middle of Hades' monologue. Three people, a ghost and two humans, were at the foot of the throne with ghostly, translucent chains on their wrists that attached to the floor.

Scar noticed him first and chattered angrily at him. Unfortunately, that drew Hades' attention to Ren as well.

"Well," Hades said. "Nice of you to join us."

He reminded Ren of all the people the Hermits hated somehow at once: Xisuma's evil twin, the stupid Renperor, and even the Red King.

That last one was a little damaging to Ren's emotions. Yeah, maybe he had been a little bit of a bad guy.

Ren pulled out his axe, only to have it knocked out of his hand by a skeleton. "Oh, no, I'm not joining you," he said loudly. "I'm getting those three and leaving. Sorry to burst your bubble, Hades, but they're still living. They're not your subjects."

Hades pointed at Scar. "That one is."

"Dang it," Ren muttered.

"Also, you're in my domain," Hades said. "I can do whatever I please here, especially when you should have been here years ago."

He sounded kind of tired, as if he was sick of chasing after those dumb kids who kept stubbornly refusing to die.

Me, writing: "dumb kids"

My mind: "I can't believe that none of those dumb kids have died yet"

Also my mind, in Eda Clawthorne's voice: "Dumb kids?... Wait, those are MY dumb kids!"

We all love eda...

WATCH OWL HOUSE IF YOU HAVEN'T ITS SO GOOD

Okie, insight into my weird brain over.

Ren was pushed to the end of the line and a manacle was clapped around his wrist. It was as cold as ice - no, colder than ice - and very real despite looking like it was made of glowing mist.

"Ren, you are an absolute idiot," Grian said calmly next to him.

"I know," Ren replied.

Ren could probably reach his chorus fruit, but it would be hard unless Hades and the skeletons were all distracted.