Grian

So I was rereading the original pjo books because I just can't get enough and realized that I forgot a LOT of things... the Iris-Message at the car wash, for one. So we're just gonna pretend that it was in there, even though I didn't feature it... or write in a conversation about it... or mention it in any way...

Definitely NOT author's fault. Nope, it was the Mist. *nods* Yes, That's it.

~~~

As soon as he heard Percy and Grover start talking, Grian opened his eyes.

It wasn't hard to pretend to snore. He always earned stares from the other Hermits when he faked sleep, but it sold quite easily.

Grian did feel a little bad about eavesdropping on what was probably a conversation the original questers didn't want the Hermits to hear, but he couldn't help it. He was a professional at spying. Much better than Tango and Mumbo and their creepy tree costumes, anyway.

He really missed Mumbo...

And the rest of Boatem, of course.

It wouldn't be the same without Scar, though.

When the other Hermits had told him, Grian had done what he usually did when something bad happened - put on a neutral face and changed the subject.

I kind of had to put an angsty grian moment there...

Scar's death affected him more than he cared to admit. The rest of Boatem, and in fact the rest of the Hermits back at home, would be devastated when they found out.

"In that Iris-Message, did Luke really say nothing?" Grover asked.

Grian stared at the wall, wondering what he was about to hear.

He remembered the Iris-Message at the car wash, where Percy had claimed that Like had said nothing. Grian had told him to tell Chiron and the other Hermits (mentioning by individual names, of course) that he was okay.

Now it seemed ridiculous since they were put looking for him, only to turn back.

But why hadn't Luke told him that they were missing, too?

Grian was one to keep his promises, and to trust others to keep theirs. He had shrugged it off.

Grian heard Percy sigh. "Luke said he and Annabeth go way back. He also said you wouldn't fail this time. Nobody would get turned into a pine tree. What was that about?"

Grover let out a sad bleat, but it was quite loud. It woke Annabeth up, but Gem and Ren stayed fast asleep. They and Grian were used to loud noises at night.

"I should've told you at the beginning. I thought if you knew how much of a failure I was, you wouldn't want me to come."

"You were the satyr who tried to rescue Thalia."

Who was Thalia?

Was she dead?

Grian didn't hear Grover's reply, so he assumed the satyr nodded or something.

"And the other two half-bloods Thalia befriended, the ones who got safely to camp-"

"Luke and me," Annabeth said quietly. The others jumped. They hadn't realized she was awake. "Like you said, a seven-year-old Half-Blood wouldn't make it very far alone. Athena led me toward help - Thalia was twelve, Luke fourteen. They'd both run away from home, just like me. They were happy to take me with them. They were... great monster-fighters. We headed north from Virginia with no plan whatsoever until Grover found us."

"I was supposed to escort Thalia and only Thalia to camp," Grover whimpered. "Chiron told me not to do anything that would slow us down. Hades was after her, kind of like he is with you, Percy."