Annabeth

Okay so I've been reading my own book bc I'm kinda crazy but I've noticed a lot of spelling and grammar errors. If you notice any, please comment!

Yes, I'm too lazy to proofread myself.

Now have some Annabeth Being Angry At The Hermits Because They're Keeping Secrets!

~~~

The fact that they didn't even know what a truck was was the last straw.

The group of seven newcomers had proven to be decent at hiding what was different about them. Annabeth had half hoped they would stay on the quest so she could figure them out, but then they all planned to leave because Hades was apparently after them. And then, thankfully, Grian had stubbornly insisted on staying, and Ren and then Gem, at Annabeth's plea, had chosen to as well.

That made three people to interrogate - scratch that, ask about their origins.

Plus Grover. He obviously knew a little bit about them as well. And he told Percy everything, so Percy probably knew too.

It made Annabeth very angry that she was the only one not knowing something.

And if Grover knew, Chiron definitely knew! Why hadn't he told her?

Long story short, the group of seven, now six since poor Scar was dead, was very frustrating.

However, Annabeth had hope now. They would have plenty of time to tell her everything while they were all trapped in the back of a zoo truck together. Gem and Grover in particular seemed easy to get information out of. Annabeth didn't want to think of them as weak, but they were definitely not the toughest.

Oh... never mind. They both seemed about ready to kill when they saw the animals in the truck.

"Who would do this?" Gem demanded.

Grover simply bleated in anger.

"This does kind of suck," Ren muttered.

Percy stared dumbly at the zebra.

"We need to help them!" Gem said.

And then Annabeth got a good look.

It was just kind of sad. The side of the truck had said Humane Zoo Transport, but this was less than humane. This was... well, kind of barbaric.

There were three cages, with a zebra, antelope, and albino lion imprisoned inside. There was a whole bunch of gum in the zebra's mane, and a balloon tied to the antelope's antler. A bag of turnips had been haphazardly thrown into the lion's cage, and there were Styrofoam trays of ground beef in the zebra's and antelope's cages.

"Humane?" Grover said angrily. "This isn't humane!"

Grian closed the doors behind them, throwing the back of the truck into darkness. Percy uncapped Riptide, which luckily glowed a little.

"Can anyone else hear the zebra?" he mumbled.

"Zebra," Grian said. "That's what it is. It's not a horse."

"Poor guy," Gem said, carefully pulling the bag of turnips out of the lion's cage. "They didn't even give them the right food. I don't really know what you eat, but it probably isn't this."

The lion gave a weak roar as if agreeing with her.

"Can anyone hear the zebra?" Percy said again.

"Yeah. I can- wait, you're human. You shouldn't be able to..." Grover trailed off.

"You can understand them?" Gem gasped, and Annabeth could practically see the stars in her eyes.

"Yeah," Grover said. "I'm a satyr. And they are saying that they are very unhappy."

"Then let's make them happy," Gem said.

"It must be a Posideon thing," Percy said, turning the attention back to him. "Didn't he create horses or something? Zebras are related to horses, right?"

Annabeth beamed. "You remembered! Good job!"

The truck suddenly lurched and then started moving. Grian fell over. Ren grabbed the antelope's cage to steady himself. Percy listened to whatever telepathic thing the zebra was saying. Grover and Gem sat down and then started to fix the mismatched food problem. Annabeth sat down and wondered how she could help.

She scooted over to the antelope cage and reached up to cut the balloon off of its horn with her dagger. Then she went to the zebra.

"Don't try to cut the gum out," Gem advised. "You could hurt it, with all this bumping around."

Annabeth nodded and leaned against the wall, not really knowing what else to do.

Grover slid the two Styrofoam trays of beef into the lion's cage. The lion ate it (loudly) and then looked up. Grover paled and scooted away.

Gem divided the turnips into two piles and gave one pile to Grian, who put it in the zebra's cage. Percy took the other and gave it to the antelope.

"We should probably sleep," Annabeth said, realizing how tired she was. "We don't know when we'll get another chance."

Grian stared toward the door. "I don't know if I can," he said.

"Since Bdubs isn't here to make you sleep, I'm gonna take his place," Ren said. "Go to sleep."

Then the son of Ares leaned against the wall and didn't say another word.

He must be disappointed, Annabeth thought. I remember Luke was too, when he met his dad.

Even though all I remember about that day were burnt cookies, a bunch of yelling, and then Luke telling Thalia and me that it was time to go.

Annabeth decided it was probably lucky that she hadn't met Athena yet. The gods weren't the best parents.

Grian stared at Ren for a minute and then lied down on the floor. It was probably about two seconds before he was snoring. Loudly.

Percy stared at Riptide on the ground. Grover whispered comforting words to the animals. Gem put her head in her hands, probably thinking about why she had done this to herself.

Annabeth still wanted answers.

But it could wait until morning.

Annabeth leaned her head against the wall and fell asleep.