Grian

Sorry chapters have been a little infrequent lately compared to the first few chapters. My school is doing the end of year testing right now so I have to do stuff for that AND I'm trying to work on my other book as well, but hopefully I can get back to faster chapters as soon as I finish testing! Thanks for being patient <3

Also some dialogue might be a little bit different from the Percy Jackson books, but it still gets the same point across. Also it's a fanfic, not exactly meant to be accurate

~~~

Grian wasn't sure how they were going to get food.

He wanted food. Really bad. They had eaten just a few hours ago, but now his stomach was grumbling again. If he was in Hermitcraft, he would be losing health from starvation.

Maybe he was exaggerating just a little bit.

But still. He was hungry.

And they happened to be in a... restaurant. Or, that's what Grover called it. But it had food.

Grian wasn't a stranger to the concept of buying things. You paid a diamond, you got a stack of food, fair deal and both business owner and customer walk away happy. But this place was weird. It was all complicated. Annabeth seemed to be having some trouble with it, and she never had trouble with anything. Or, that's what Grian thought.

"We don't have any money, but-" the daughter of Athena started.

The lady who had come to help them pursed her lips. "I'm sorry. But I can't do anything if you don't have-"

The sound of a revving engine interrupted her.

The demigods, Grover, and the waitress stared out the large front window to see a large... thing. It wasn't a car, and he knew what things fell into the category of car. He was friends with Mumbo.

It was about the size of a horse back at home, except it wasn't a horse. It looked like something Doc would construct - too complex for a builder like Grian to understand.

The guy who got off of the machine was nearly as big as it. Everyone in the restaurant looked away as he walked in.

Grover paled. He seemed to do that a lot.

To Grian's surprise (and alarm), the huge man came right over to their table.

Grian fumed silently. Who did this guy think he was?

He found himself fingering the dagger they had found at Medusa's Garden Gnome Emporium even though it wouldn't really be any help. Grian hadn't trained with a dagger. He hadn't even known what a dagger was until a month ago.

He missed his trident. But unfortunately, he hadn't had one in Season 8 that he could bring. He hadn't wanted to risk losing it in the Boatem Hole.

The waitress scrambled put of the way as the guy came and sat down at their table, squishing Grian and Percy against the wall. Grian whined a complaint.

"Um-" the waitress started.

"Give us all you got," the guy said. He tossed a few golden drachmas at her, which she caught.

"These arent-" she tried again.

The man took out a dagger and started picking at his fingernails. "Problem?"

"You can't just-" Annabeth sputtered. "You can't just threaten someone with a knife!" She looked at the others for support.

Grover nodded. Percy was too busy glaring at the man to notice. Grian shrugged. "I've done it a few times."

"You're not helping," Annabeth hissed.

"I do whatever I want," the man said. He grinned down at Percy. "So. I heard you pipsqueaks are on a little quest."

"Who do you think you are?" Percy demanded, voicing Grian's thoughts exactly.

Grover whimpered. Annabeth paled.

The man paused and put the knife away. He looked down at Percy and, next to him, Grian.

Grian wished he had an ender pearl. Or chorus fruit. Or even an enchanted weapon.

"Luckily for you, I'm not offended easily. But some of my relatives are a different story. You'd do good to remember that, punk."

He knows we're on a quest. He has relatives that are easily offended.

Oh no. He's probably either a god or a monster.

HA. LET HIM TRY AGAINST THE MIGHTY DREAMSLAYER.

Then the god/monster shifted his attention to Grian, and all bravery was gone.

Oh, come on. Who was he, Scar? He wasn't afraid of some stupid-

Nope, not stupid. Definitely not stupid. Who knew if he could read minds?

To be fair, he really doesn't seem all that smart-

NO SHUT UP BRAIN

"You're one of the ones Hades is after," the man mused. "Besides this punk, of course. I could turn you in, but it would probably be more entertaining to watch you walk into the Underworld."

Grian tensed, but he had already turned away.

"I can get you a ride, materials, pretty much everything you need to get as far as Las Vegas," the man said. "I just need a favor."

"No," Percy said. "We don't need your stupid-"

"Of course, Lord Ares," Annabeth interrupted. "We need everything we can get."

This guy was Ares?

He had no resemblance to Ren whatsoever.

Grian glanced at Percy and saw that the son of Posideon was equally surprised.

"Good," Ares said. "Now, I was on a date with my girlfriend at a water park. I believe it's called Waterland. But anyway, there was a trap by a person who doesn't want us together, and I accidentally left my shield there. All I need is for you guys to go fetch it for me."

I wrote water with an h on accident, like wather, and it autocorrected to Watcher, capitalized and everything. I'm so proud (Watchers are in my other book)

"Sounds easy enough," Grian said, and Annabeth shot him a warning glance.

"I dont care about your shield!" Percy said. "We're fine!"

"We'll do it," Annabeth said.

Grover whimpered again.

"And one more thing," Ares said. "My daughter Clarisse's spear - good move. I don't really like it, but good move."

Percy did not thank him. He just glared.

Grian was entirely with him on that.

The four questers watched Ares as he got up, went outside, and drove away on his vehicle.

"You idiot," Annabeth scolded Percy. "How did you not know who he was?"

Percy frowned. "I don't even know how I got mad so quickly."

"It's Ares," Grover said. "He's got that aura."

"So," Grian said, standing up and bumping his leg hard on the edge of the table. He winced. "Are we going after some dumb shield again or not?"

"Again?" Annabeth said.

"Yep," Grian said, and refused to elaborate further.

"Waterland, here we come," Grover said miserably.

"It's probably a trap," Percy warned.

"Definitely," Annabeth said.

Grian sighed.  "You already accepted. What choice do we have?"