Bdubs

Five days earlier...

Bdubs admitted that his concentration noise sounded more like he was constipated.

So, naturally, he did it again.

"HHHRRRRGGHHHH!"

"WHY ISN'T IT WORKING?"

Bdubs had been up nearly all night trying to figure out how to stop the stupid spell, and it resulted in a bloody fist from punching a pillar, bruised foot from kicking the pillar, a headache from head-butting the pillar, and a cranky Bdubs from failing to damage the pillar.

And now he sounded like he was constipated.

Bdubs was having trouble concentrating. He wasn't used to getting this little sleep.

He had tried everything. Breaking into the Athena cabin for books, Iris-Messaging Ren or Gem or Grian with stolen drachmas (it didn't work for some reason), even getting into the Hephaestus cabin for the communicator. The Hermits back at home had no idea what to do. Mr. D seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth, and that was probably a good thing.

But Bdubs was getting really tired.

He went back to the Hermes cabin. The problem would have to wait until morning.

He dreamed that Grian, Ren, Gem, Grover, Percy, and Annabeth were in what looked like a hotel room. Ren and Annabeth were fighting over a TV remote. Grover ate a tissue box. Grian and Gem watched an animated cat and mouse bounce around the screen trying to kill each other. Percy chugged a soda.

Bdubs told them to stop lazing around and do their quest, but they didn't seem to hear him.

The dream shifted, and then Bdubs saw a cozy-looking room with pillows everywhere. There was also a gigantic collection of stuffed animals in the corner.

Bdubs seemed to be alone.

"Hello?" he asked.

Maybe the pillows were for him to scream into.

"It's about time you fell asleep," a slow voice said.

Bdubs turned around to see Hypnos. "Um, hi."

Hypnos yawned. "We aren't supposed to interact with demigods. But Dionysus got mad at me, so here we are."

Bdubs waited. He wasn't sure what he was supposed to say.

"I've been waiting for you to fall asleep for, like , forever. The one time you don't sleep, and it's the night I want to talk to you. You've probably already figured out that it's your fault that they're all asleep," Hypnos said. "Nice job."

Bdubs couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or not.

"No, really," Hypnos said. "I've never had a kid that powerful before."

Bdubs raised his eyebrows. Was I just claimed?

It doesn't matter. I don't have a cabin anyway.

"I can stop the spell," Hypnos continued. "But don't put everyone to sleep again. I'm tired. I want to sleep for the next few centuries, and Dionysus doesn't help matters when he accuses me of something I didn't do."

Bdubs just kept staring.

Just keep staring, just keep staring-

NO. NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO THINK ABOUT FINDING DORY, BDUBS.

Hypnos cleared his throat. "Anyway... ugh, I'm not used to talking to people - I probably won't be able to speak to you again. But I'll tell you this - you're more powerful than the siblings you have at camp. Most of my children can't really do much, maybe make individual people fall asleep, or do specific things with specific memories, or navigate dream worlds. I don't know exactly what you can do yet besides putting an entire camp to sleep. You'll have to figure that out on your own."

"Wait, but-" Bdubs started.

Then he felt someone shaking his shoulder.

"Bdubs, what the heck is going on?" Luke asked. "We all just woke up in the dining pavilion and then Tango noticed you were gone-"

Bdubs sat up and rubbed his eyes, trying to remember what the heck Luke was talking about. "Um," he said. "Hi."

"Hi," Luke said impatiently. "The entire camp is confused, not even Chiron knows what's going on-"

Bdubs finally remembered what had happened. "Just... letsh not talk about it. Just pretend it never happened..."

"It never happened," Luke said. "Okay."

He blinked. "But what day is it?"

"It's only been one night," Bdubs said. "You're fine."

Luke let out a sigh of relief. "Probably just a prank," he said. "Connor and Travis putting a sleeping potion in the food or something."

"Yeah," Bdubs said. "That's probably it."

He made a mental note to talk to Connor and Travis and force them to go along with that story.

Bdubs glanced at the clock. "HOLY COW!" He yelled. "IT'S BREAKFASHT TIME!"

He realized how hungry he was.

"The harpies are getting it ready," Tango said, poking his head into the cabin.

"Hey," Luke said. "You're not supposed to be in here."

Tango stuck out his tongue and left.

"Let's just not tell anyone about this," Bdubs said. "Maybe they'll forget about it."

He knew it was wishful thinking.

"They won't forget," Luke said. "But they might not mention it."

Bdubs sighed and got up. He was still in yesterday's clothes, and he desperately needed a shower.

The other Hermes kids came into the cabin, talking about what had just happened. Nobody asked Bdubs anything else. They just did their normal morning routine and pretended that everything was fine.

They went out to breakfast when the conch horn blew. Thankfully, everyone seemed to have forgotten the fact that the Hermits had run away from camp in the chaos, so Bdubs didn't have to worry about that. Mr. D was up at the head table fuming, but it was probably because of his failure to figure out what had happened.

Zedaph walked over to Bdubs. "You're gonna need to tell us what happened last night. Meet by the creek, where Ren was claimed?"

Bdubs nodded.

Later that day, he told them everything. They were a little surprised at it, but they did laugh at Mr. D's anger.

"So you're a child of the god of sleep," Zedaph teased. "I should have known."

Bdubs punched him.

"Maybe you can make my siblings stop snoring," Tango said.

"Oh, please, you fit right in with them," Zedaph said, rolling his eyes. "You do it too."

Tango raised his eyebrows at finally being told that he was annoying even in his sleep.

"You should at least tell Chiron about this," Zedaph said. "He'd probably like to know."

Bdubs ignored him and thought about his dream, of the questers in a hotel room. "I wonder what the others are doing right now..."

~~~

We now have 40 chapters.

Normal books do NOT have this many chapters.

Even the original book did not have this many chapters.

- Indigo