Annabeth

Annabeth was getting... frustrated to say the least.

But she was closer to her goal.

Her main goal was helping Percy get the master bolt back to Olympus, of course. But the side quest was figuring out the Weird Kids.

Yeah, the nickname needed some work.

Come on, she had created Seaweed Brain and then suddenly this was the best she could come up with? Seriously?

But anyway, she had found out two new things today: one, they could teleport using Ender Pearls and chorus fruit, and two, they spoke a different language that Annabeth couldn't understand but immediately wanted to.

Of course she wanted to. She was a daughter of Athena.

Maybe she could ask Zedaph about it when they got back, because the taxi ride had been surprisingly ineffective.

She could always corner someone in a dark alley.

Maybe that was going too far.

If she did corner someone in a dark alley, it would be Percy. He, Grian, and Ren had some sort of understanding now that Annabeth couldn't figure out, and it made her mad.

Everything about the Weird Kids made her mad.

They pooled their spare change that they had left over from Medusa's emporium and took a bus to L.A.

"I feel like I've seen you on TV," the driver said to Percy as they boarded. "You a child actor or something?"

Percy stopped. "Uh... I'm a... stunt double... for a lot of child actors."

The driver nodded. "Oh! That explains it. Cool."

Percy made his way to the rest of them with a relieved expression.

"That was close," Grover muttered.

They made sure not to sit anywhere near the back this time. But it went surprisingly smoothly. No demon grandmothers came to attack them. But still, they got off at the first stop they could. They didn't want to take their chances.

It was completely dark by the time they were off the bus. Tomorrow was their last day.

The bus driver had never heard of DOA Recording Studios, where they had figured the entrance to the Underworld was, judging by an address slip they had found at Medusa's place. That was unfortunate. L.A. was too big to search in one night.

And to make matters worse, It was a city. Therefore cops existed. They had to duck into alleys to avoid the cop cars twice.

"We probably won't be sleeping tonight," Gem observed.

"Is that a bad thing?" Grian asked.

"You never know if phantoms exist here," Ren said grimly.

"We slept last night," Gem reminded him.

Annabeth didn't know what they meant. But the priority was finding the entrance to the Underworld.

Percy froze in front of an appliance store window and stared at a television. On the screen was a fat guy in the middle of an interview. He was in the middle of a poker game, and there was a pretty blonde lady sitting next to him, patting his hand.

"Percy, we need to keep going," Ren said uncomfortably.

He didn't move.

"Honest, Ms. Walters, if it wasn't for Sugar here, my grief counselor, I'd be a wreck. My... my stepson too everything from me... my wife... my Camaro... I-I have trouble talking about it."