5. Driver Rooms

"I told you the car was shit." Lando huffs as he stomps into the room. Thankfully the door snapped closed before anybody could hear his words.

"It's not shit." He gives me a deadpan look. I'm a little thrown by his reaction, it really isn't that bad.

"Amber..." My name is grumbled.

"You came 15th, it's not the worst result ever. Definitely not the worst you've had." Lando seems to consider my words in his head. Wasn't it him ten days ago who told me they'd get the car going and it would all be fine? "At least you finished?" I try to sound optimistic but only get a frown in return. Clearly my attempts to comfort him aren't working and I need to think of a new job around here.

"I can't go around celebrating that I even finished the race!" Lando stresses and I roll my eyes. This is nothing I haven't heard repeated over the years.

"Some teams can." I shrug not meaning the comment to sound as bitchy as it did, but, now I've said it; some drivers...seem to have an infatuation with walls out on that track. Thankfully my brother is not one of those. I can only imagine his attitude if he was.

"Not me." Lando says with a shake of his head unzipping his race suit and pulling it down so its slung around his hips.

"Not you." I concede. If Lando had took simply finishing races as a positive he wouldn't be where he is now. It's his determination that allowed him to get this far. "I guess it's good that you can blame the car though, you haven't just got shit over break?" I suggest with a shrug, this time Lando gives me a smile. I smile back at him softly, feeling vindicated by his reaction.

We both knew he hadn't got shit over break with how well testing seemed to go. But, as an extra comfort Daniel came just 1 place ahead of Lando in 14th. At least there's the comfort that they both struggled to get the car inside the top ten and my brother wasn't just trailing behind, his skills worse than the rest of the field.

"Things can only get better from here." I try to keep the positive tone between us going.

"They could get worse." Lando points out and I slap him on the arm like our mum does to him when he gets whiny like this.

"Better." I correct rolling my eyes. I pull him in for a soft hug, tapping his back gently. It's only now that I remember the guys are worked out on that track, because he smells sickeningly like dried sweat. My face scrunches at the scent as we pull apart. "Go get showered, you stink." I instruct which makes Lando snort. I don't know what I expected, he'd been out there for almost two hours in a tight helmet, fireproof clothing and it was 25 degrees. It might be night but it doesn't mean it was overly cool.

"You know I could've got mum here if I wanted to be told what to do?" He asos unzipping his race suit and pushing it down to his hips.

"You love having me here, mum wouldn't join for more than two races." I point out and Lando nods at my words knowing they're right. Our mother loved home too much to ever live her life out of a suitcase like I seem to have signed up to do.

Next week marks our third week away and I can't say I'm hating it. It's quite exciting being somewhere different, and it's not like I'm living a hard life here. I think this is the most time I've had to relax since I was sixteen and finished my exams at school.

Lando shoo's me away so he can shower before going to finish press for the evening. Thankfully, I grab my phone and bottle of water before being pushed out the room. The only problem now being I didn't know what to do with myself. It's just after 6pm at home, Lilly will be eating. Mum already arranged to call Lando later when we're back at the hotel. The mission to pack up for heading to Saudi Arabia next week has already started which really gives me limited options in how to occupy myself.