46. Raise a Toast

200k?? You gotta be kidding me 🥰🫶🏻

"Talk to me nice, you're love of my life," - Virgo's Groove, Beyoncé
(Above things I am a Beyoncé fan and I will project it onto every part of my life idc)

Lilly clinks her glass with a spoon left on the table raising the shot in her hands as she shuffled forward in her spot beside me. "I'd like to raise a toast." I groan at the words, hiding my face behind my hands as the people around the table cheer and whoops to themselves at the words. There's not many of us really, ten in total. I'm sure Daniel would've made sure it was even bigger evening if it weren't the night before a race day and on such short notice.

"Lilly!" I groan a warning note in my voice, she just rolls her eyes at the call of her name. She doesn't care at all.

"Amber." She returns shortly, a smile on her face, glass still in her hands as Carla to the other side oh her hands around shots around the table. Tequila for myself and everyone except for the two drivers (Daniel and George) with us, who were instead offered orange juice for the night wanting to keep a clear head in preparation for the race tomorrow.

"It took her a while - and I'm glad I'll not have to hear her complain about it again - but I'm so proud of you, my adopted sister, for getting your new job." I pout at Lilly's words leaning my side into Lilly as she gives me a sideways squeeze. "It wasn't the original one but it's the new dream job and I'm rediculously proud of you." She says and I find myself pouting a little at her words, shaking my head a little.

"For the record: my dream job is no job." I remind Lilly and a round of laughs echo around the table. She only sends me a flat look in return for my interruption. I smile at her and her shoulders sag in defeat.

"Maybe it wasn't a joke when I said you were my sugar baby?" Daniel asks rhetorically and I just hold my head in my hands in despair at the downwards spiral this round of drinks/toast has taken. My dad has an unreadable explanation on his face and Mum is just watching us completely entertained by the interaction. Daniel squeezes my thigh under the table playfully, a grin on his face before his lips graze the top of my head. The action makes my heart flutter and I suddenly don't care about anyones reactions around the table.

"Anyway..." lilly sighs, fighting a laugh. "As I was saying." She continues with a roll of her eyes. A round of quiet giggles of the people I love most echo around the table. My cheeks hurt from smiling so hard over the last hour as every person has laughed and joked with me.

"To Amber!" Lilly cheers and the voices around the table echo the words. I just hide behind my hands slightly, raising my own glass in the air. I'm highly embarrassed by the cheers of my name and smiles in my direction. It's like when a crowd of strangers sing happy birthday. I still lift the shot glass to my lips, downing the liquid in one, the alcohol burning my throat so badly that I gasp with the next gulp of air.

Ollie snorts with laughter watching my Mum do the shot, Dad cheering her on as she winces with the taste of the sharp alcohol.

"I'm so proud of you." Daniel repeats for the hundredth time as everyone's attention is turned further down the table to the right of us.

"You said that already." I point out, leaning into Daniel's warm large body. "A lot." I add with a small smile. He turns to me, and we share a quick innocent kiss that shows me exactly how proud he is of me.

"And I'll say it again." Daniel says with a soft smile that makes my stomach swarm with those butterflies for the hundredth time today.

"It wouldn't have been possible without you, thank you." I try to point out but he just shakes his head.