47. The Water Bottle

"You are never going to guess what happened to me this morning." I say falling down in a seat beside where Daniel and Michael were going through some details of the race, maps of the track laid out in front of them as they chat quietly. Daniel only raises an eyebrow at me in questioning as I settle myself in the spot beside him, doesn't last long. Pretty quickly he's reaching for me, wrapping his arms around my waist as he pulls me over his knee, balancing me there. His head burying against my shoulder as his hands settle on my hips, squeezing me there.

"What's that?" Michael asks in exchange of my words, his face a little entertained by the disbelief pinned to my words. He passes Daniel a numbered map of the track the different numbers not correlating to corners or gears (at least as far as I'm aware). I just stare at it a little confused.

"Lando texted me." I reply casually, straightening my legs out infront of me the best I can as Daniel assesses the paper in-front of him. His head snaps up, away from the paper, in my direction with the words. The response would make me laugh apart from I had the exact same reaction. When the notification buzzed through on my phone as I got dressed I almost thought it was a dream. There's shock written all over his expression, his mouth a little open eyes wider than they were before.

Just yesterday on the plane here he sat with his headphones over his ears, arms crossed for the whole flight.

"Seriously?" Daniel asks a slight surprised expression on his face.

"Yep, wasn't even prompted by me texting him first or anything, it's been two weeks since I last tried him." I note with a small smile of
victory.

"Damn, What'd he say?" Daniel asks scratching at the side of his head as he reaches for his bottle of water.

"Just 'hey, how are you?'." I say with my eyes a little wide voice slow.

"What did you say?" He asks quickly and curiously. His eyes have started dancing over the map once more. Teeth sinking down on his lower lip in thought as he squints, probably needing his glasses to read some of Michaels scribbles. He keeps it quiet but now and again, especially when tired, he has some beautiful square framed glasses which make me want to just wrap my legs around him and...

"I haven't replied." I say quietly, not wanting to disrupt his reading too much. There's a crackle of silence where I feel both Dan and Michael turn to me.

"Amber..." Daniel warns me slowly, his eyes narrowed. I only shrug. Both his and Michael's faces hold expressions of slight disbelief.

"What?" I'm met with a stern look from him. One I've only been on the receiving end a handful of times. "He spent the whole of yesterday tuning out my existence. Last Thursday he stood glaring at us from across the room, and the month before that ignoring me. Maybe I don't want to speak to him." I reason and Daniel sighs at my words shaking his head. Michael shakes his too, as he moves around the room but his doesn't come paired with the heavy sigh.

"Haven't you been moping because he wouldn't speak to you?" Michael asks looking to me confused. He's resting against the table, legs stretched out in front of him, eyes squinted in slight disbelief.

"I haven't had time to mope." I point out to Michael with a roll of my eyes. It makes him laugh disbelievingly. It only makes my own gaze narrow.

"You've been moping a little." Daniel points out and I direct a small glare in his direction.

"You're meant to be on my side!" Daniel laughs at the childish protest.

"Babe, I'm always on your side." Daniel defends, his eyebrows creasing, as his hand which was resting on my hip gently runs through my hair once, twice then jumps back to my hip, squeezing the skin there through the material of my leggings.