7. Breakfast

Happy race weekend! Tysm for all the votes and comments on the last chapter ❤️

"Can I ask you something?" Lando is speaking through a mouthful of food, I try my best to ignore the sight and nod taking a sip from my coffee. Unlike the ones I've been having over the last three weeks, this one is warm. It's needed in the cold English springtime, I wish that the weather would hurry and heat up a little. Instead rain patters against the windows of the house and the sky remains grey with thick clouds.

We're sat in our parents kitchen, eating breakfast. Scrambled egg and toast for him, just toast and a coffee for me. Mum went to the stables to help with Flo, our younger sister's, horses and Dad is away on yet another endless business trip - as he always seems to be at the moment. Our families activities were all a bit ridiculous when you think about it really.

Lando decided to stay here before heading to the next race, despite having his own place twenty five minutes away explaining that he was lonely there. I know it's just because Mum will cook for him though.

I'm staying here because I dropped out of my apartment contract the second Lando offered to bring me along this season. There was no point paying for rent, in London of all places, when I'd barely be in the building. It would only be a waste of my money which because of this decision hasn't disappeared too quickly.

"Don't take this the wrong way." Lando says cautiously, eyeing me from his place on the breakfast bar across from him. I lean forward on the counter, the cold white marble chilling my arms as I press them against the bench.

"Okay, I'm definitely going to take it the wrong way." I warn making Lando laugh, he'd always been easy to make laugh so it's hardly something to be proud of. It dies down quickly though as he shakes his head, feeding himself another mouthful of the food in front of him.

"Did something happen in Saudi?" He asks and I narrow my eyes at him a little needing more than that. Lots of things happened in Saudi. The race almost got called off because of a freaking bomb threat, Daniel's engine broke down meaning he couldn't even finish the race and Lando, thankfully, got his first points. "Between you and Daniel?" He clarifies, looking strangely calm for the question he's asking. My stomach flips a little, he's kind of asking the wrong location for the question. Does this count as lying?

"Oh, no." I reply quickly. My eyes drop to the bench in front of me as I grab for my coffee.

"No?" He questions cautiously, like he didn't believe me. His eyes are narrowing distrustingly at me.

"Definitely not." I confirm. "Why?" My question is quick as I lift my toast covered with jam to my lips.

"I've been hearing things." The words from his mouth are cryptic, I mutter a 'oh god' in reply to his words. Gossip - and my brother's engagement with it- will be the death of me.

It's with an eye roll I go to explain where these things he heard may have come from. "Daniel slept over in my room, in Saudi." I say with a shrug. Lando's eyes widen making me quickly shake my head. "But it wasn't like that!" I warn him my voice rising a little to reassure him. At this point in the story I get why he'd be alarmed. "It was the night before practice and it was more like he passed out after dinner and all the meetings you guys had. He fell asleep watching a movie and he's such a deep sleeper I couldn't wake him up." I explain as Lando seems a little calmer than he was the ten seconds before as he eyes me cautiously. "Nothing happened, we're just friends!" I stress feeling completely evaluated by my brother. I think he believes me, and he should! I've done nothing wrong.

Well, in Saudi Arabia anyway.

Although, after our little unplanned sleepover, I woke up the next day to find Daniel's hand still softly holding onto my arm. When he woke just before the alarm it was the snatching away of said touch that woke me up. We never spoke about it. I think we both just preferred it wasn't a topic of conversation. I'm glad because I didn't want to explain to Daniel that I really didn't mind the action, and found it comforting more than anything.. Just the reminder he was there enough for me to have the deepest sleep I'd had in weeks. I also didn't want to tell him that my heart sank when he moved his hand so quickly away from me