52. Three

Before anyone panics...this is NOT the final chapter! I've had to split it 🥰

Third and fourth.

It's a result neither Lando nor Daniel were expecting.

When it was confirmed last night the two of them sat wide eyed until Lando cracked and laughed (because of course he would laugh first). He and Daniel laughed continuously for around four and a half minutes, almost manically until the sound died down and they just shook their heads at eachother in disbelief. Saying 'bullshit' and 'no fucking way' over and over to one and other. They shouldn't be there, it was all luck, and they know it. A series of coincidences putting them in the same positions they were last year at that all important 1-2 finish.

Penalties for around half the grid pushed them up from their already positive position on the grid to an even higher one. Maybe Charles was right, this weekend could be good for Lando and Daniel after all. Although, he's still sitting safely at the top of the grid making good on my promise that this weekend will be good to him. It has to be, given the money that ferrari have splashed out on it.

I've been pushing my anxiety aside all morning, I don't know how the boys have been going on as normal - probably because they're still in denial about the whole thing. Neither of them are any more excited than normal. Lando told me he's expecting to see the back of Max's car as he's overtaken by lap 10, Daniel by lap 7. I suppose it's good they're not getting carried away with the grid position, no expectations mean that nobody can be disappointed - even if it does mean bigger whispers of excitement throughout the paddock today. Even more so than yesterday.

I could barely handle my toast when I grabbed it from the hotel tray as I got dressed this morning. I think I managed four bites before the uncomfortable feeling of nerves in my stomach forced me to stop eating. It's something I haven't felt since Lando stopped speaking to me in France. Daniel just laughed at me lightly, lacing a gentle encouraging kiss to my forehead as he told me to 'chill out'.

So I'll repeat it again, I don't know how the boys have been going on as normal.

My feet kick out in front of me, tongue flattening against my teeth as I watch Daniel warm up for the race. He has his white fireproof top on and his race suit slung around his hips. I don't think I've ever told him how delicious I think he looks when he does that. There's music playing (as always) as he practices his reaction times and warms up his neck. Lando's warm up routine is more...tranquil. He usually spends the twenty minutes before the race getting a massage and working out any kinks or tightness in his muscles before hopping in the car. I prefer the atmosphere of Daniel's preparation, the best of the loud music gives me something to focus on.

"Ambs will you stop looking so tense." Daniel teases when his eyes flick over to me, there's humour in his voice as he squints a little at me. I shake my head, forcing the frown I didn't even know was there from my face. The problem with looking tense is that to look tense I have to feel tense. I do indeed feel tense.

A second row start means that there's more chance for confrontation than further down the field. There's so many more cars wanting to push past the two of them. So many more chances for them to get hurt. Before the thought can make me spiral anymore I shake my head again, trying to remove the though from my head. There's no rain, it's bright sun and the conditions aren't uncertain. Daniel has started from the front before, many times, Lando not as frequently but he's still been there. Especially recently compared to Daniel. Nothing has happened to them so far this season. I need to remember that.

Most of all, I need to calm down and let this anxiety go.

"Sorry." I apologise to Daniel, sending a small smile in his direction. Behind him Michael gives me an unsure look and I just nod at him, telepathically telling him I'm fine. He has more than enough to worry about on race days without me adding to it. Blake barely looks up from his laptop, he's been on the phone on and off with someone who sounds important all day.