DR2. Australia

Did somebody say you liked the Australia chapters?

400k?! I can't thank you enough ❤️

Amber fits in like a missing puzzle piece with my friends and family.

I can hear her laughing whilst playing with Lara and Ben from here - she's been endlessly entertaining the pair of them since they arrived, that smile of hers never dropping from her face. Ben asked me 'where I got Amber from' thirty minutes ago, the question made me laugh, as if I would've bought her from a store or invented her in a secret lab. In answer to my laugh the kid just frowned, saying she should've come here sooner. I laughed again at that, agreeing that yes, Amber should have been in my life a lot sooner than now. I'm struggling to imagine a life without her. Lara just keeps staring at Amber with an admiration that not even I've managed to reach. I'm not jealous. Well, only a little. I'm just amazed at how quickly they've taken to her.

A little jealous that they're stealing all of her attention, but it's only a little and I can handle that. "Ambs!" Okay, so maybe I can't. It's insane that I'm jealous of my niece and nephew for spending time with the girl but here we are. Amber's head shoots up to find me with the call of her name, a soft smile still on her face as her warm dark eyes meet mine. I reach a hand up, waving her to 'come here' and she only hesitates a second before rising from her spot on the floor to join me.

"Hey!" She cheers appearing at my side. I weigh up the unlabelled bottle of red wine in my hands, reaching for a glass and pouring the crimson liquid in.

"You alright?" I ask, passing the glass of wine into her hands - I hope she likes it. "I got you a drink. I didn't think you'd be wanting to babysit all night." I explain softly, my hand curling around the small of her back. She's so warm and...soft. I pull her a little closer as Jack and Becca slip past, her scent hits me and I try not to let the memory of her being so close to me that night in Monza show on my face. She smells like fresh pear and vanilla, different to Monza, but still familiar.

"No," she pauses to take a sip of her wine, a small shake to her head as she does so. "I don't mind, they're adorable." I can't help but agree, Ben and Lara are half the reason I return to Perth as often as I do. I love nothing more than being 'uncle Daniel', apart from this moment with Amber when I'm just 'Daniel'. For over a year I've felt like nobody's listened to me, much less as much as she has. Especially after our talk yesterday before I bullied her into driving the ATV on her own, I'm still surprised she did that.

My hand lingers against her body even as people empty from the kitchen, to the outside where music is playing a little louder in preparation for the barbecue getting into full swing. I can see Amber's eyes beginning to dart towards the small congregation of people, anxious to join them, feeling like she should be making an effort amongst the new faces but I want her to stay right here. By my side. I'm enjoying her against me far too much to share right now. My hand doesn't need to be placed on the small of her back anymore and we both know it. "I bet you that that Becca has to drive Jack home within the next two hours because he has too many beers." I almost whisper into her ear, an excuse to be closer.

"That's not a fair bet, I barely know the guy!" Amber points out with a smile, there's a small laugh which comes with her words but I just shrug it off. No matter how much the sound makes me want to laugh too. I just smile at her softly, my thumb brushing against her softly. I wish she weren't wearing this top.

"You've got good odds." I note, pointing to Jack who's stood without a drink currently in his hand. Only I know it's not there because he's just finished two within fifteen minutes of arriving. His girlfriend, Becca had narrowed her eyes at him as he tossed it in the recycling.