DR3. You + Me = 3

Enjoy!

"Whats Amber been doing today?" Blake asks, one of his hands falling from the steering wheel as we pull down the country road towards the farm. The early hour of the afternoon were spent on the beach, playing games of football and catching up with friends that I've barely had the chance to speak to over the last seven months. It's been a long 2023 season and now finally being home, much less for Christmas, it's exciting. Even more exciting that Amber and I (and our families) are spending Christmas together this year.

"You've changed your tune." I can't help but poke fun at Blake, it's become a running joke between the two of us - Blake's initial...dislike of Amber eighteen months ago. He's gone from rolling his eyes silently (that I pretended not to notice) each time she was brought up in conversation to texting her more than me some days. The friendship they had formed was founded on their mutual want for my happiness, but now stood firmly on its own ground.

Turns out the two of them had similar fears and an identical aversion to speed unless roped into activities by me. Something which Amber still regularly complains about when I pull out any form of bike.

"Dude, it's been like two years." Blake complains his voice flat as if he's bored of the conversation. The frustration dancing on his features betrays him though and I find myself laughing at the expression with a shake of my head.

"I don't know, she's sick." Is all I offer with a shrug. I'd tried to convince her to let me cancel for the day but Amber had refused, pushing me out of the door, bottle of water in hand insisting I deserved the 'boys day' (even if others wives, partners and girlfriends were in attendance). I had rolled my eyes at the term, lacing a kiss to her hot forehead as she fanned herself, skin warm against my lips. If I didn't know she had already thrown up twice I would've put her temperature down to the Australian summer, although the chilled air con of the ranch meant that was impossible. "There'll be some housewives shit on the TV when I get back, I can almost guarantee." The words are almost mused to myself but they make Blake laugh and nod.

"Likely." Blake concedes, knowing Amber as he does, he knows I'm right. She discovered the shows over last Christmas break and since has been endlessly catching up on previous series. "Can't wait?" He asks after a second, looking to me with a raised eyebrow that I know I can't lie to.

"Can't wait." I confirm, a low laugh leaving me as Blake just shakes his head at me. Two years ago neither of us would've imagined it but here I am, excited to return to my beautiful (yet grey and sick) girlfriend to watch shitty television cuddled up on my couch.

No doubt she'd make me shower as soon as I return through the doors, delaying our cuddle with the words along the line of 'you're not getting sand on this beautiful couch Mr Ricciardo'. I'll inevitably laugh and do as I'm told because who am I to ruin her favourite item of furniture with dried sea salt and sand? The couch might be part of the reason we're together in the first place. It may even be the reason we're here for the holiday season.

Amber's family are arriving in three days, it's something that didn't take much convincing once Oliver was on board. If Oliver could survive the long haul flight with a two year old Mila, he argued that anyone could, even Lando (much to Amber's delight).

Amber has been so excited to see Mila and spoil her with Christmas presents. In all honesty I'm excited to spoil Amber too. Whilst she said all she wanted for Christmas was for the two of us to just relax and spend some time together where work wasn't going to be a factor, I'd decided to take the request up a notch (or five). The day her family left back to the UK we'd also be heading to Bali for a week of total relaxation before my training activities begin ramping up again.