48. Understanding

I feel stupid for feeling nervous but I am.

After our...chat in the pit lane Lando had sent me another text (on top of my earlier unanswered one) letting me know his room details. Then another letting me know he was there twenty minutes ago. I've spent nearly the whole day stressing over what we'll talk about, or how things between us will be. I spent twice longer than needed in the shower after my run conjuring up different turns the conversation tonight could take.

Thinking over whether we'll fight behind the closed door of his hotel room, or slip back exactly to how it used to be. Or maybe we'll just sit in silence, staring at the time as the minutes tick by. Or he'll glare at me until I have to tiptoe away, head hung low. Anxiety has been filling every inch of me all day, making my stomach clench and fingers tingle in a way they shouldn't. Much to Michael's disapproval, the only thing I've managed to stomach is iced coffee - a full and rounded diet.

"Babe you need to calm down." Daniel says pressing a kiss to my cheek. I've tied and retied my hair in it's low ponytail five times now, it didn't even need tying up but I needed to do something in order to not focus on scenarios conjured up in my mind.

"I'm ready." I huff finally pressing my hands firmly against the dressing table, forcing myself to stand from my spot. "Are the guys still coming?" Daniel nods in confirmation, waving a pack of playing cards in front of him.

He's organised a small games night with a few of his friends from around the paddock. Of course Michael and Blake are going but I believe Pierre, Lando's manager Adam and trainer Jon were also joining. I think it's all his way of fishing for information about Pierre's contract for next year but I've kept that thought to myself.

"I'm sure you can blame me if you did want to back out." Daniel says with a shrug, running a hand over his hair as I press my hands against his chest, leaning into his body. The familiar smell of him forces a wave of calm to wash over me. "For the record I don't think you should back out, but if you really want to he hates me already so..." the end of Daniel's words makes me laugh quietly to myself as his arms wrap around my waist. My hands wrap around his waist snuggling myself into his toned body.

"He does not hate you." I counter to his words. "Apparently he doesn't even hate me." The words sound confused from my lips. This time Daniel laughs at my words. The vibrations ring through his chest and into my ear and make my heart flutter. Instantly I feel a hundred times better.

"Go. Before you change your mind." He urges with a tap of encouragement on my hip. There's a smile to Daniel's words and I find myself nodding in agreement with them, reflecting his expression.

With a brief kiss goodbye I grab my phone and room key, then almost slip out the room. The nerves quickly return without Daniel present.

Thankfully Lando's room is on the same floor as Dan's so it doesn't take long for me to arrive at his door. Which I suppose is a good thing because it gave me less time to chicken out like I so badly want to. I force my hand to tap against the door three times, distracting myself by texting Lilly, filling her in on the details of the day before Lando opens the door.

He's in black joggers and a black tee and wearing a calm smile on his face. "Hey!" He greets, words easy as usual, a complete opposite to me who feels tense and awkward immediately in his company. I reply to the greeting awkwardly, wrapping my arms around myself as I step into the room. Lando feels a little awkward too, he plays it off well though - better than me - strutting around the hotel suite like he owns the place.

"I ordered food." He announces when we're in the living area, two large trays filled with covered plates fill the coffee table. "I asked Daniel what he thought you'd want. I don't think I really needed to ask though." Lando explains gesturing to the plates on the table. Suddenly Daniel's questioning over what I would pick if I had my choice from the hotel menu makes a lot more sense. It wouldn't surprise me if he's behind Lando all of a sudden being nice to me at this point, he always seems to be going out of his way to help me.