10 | 'hello mother'

"HELLO, MOTHER.", was all the raven haired girl managed to choke out as she suppressed a shiver with her heart pounding heavily in her chest.

To put it simply, Momo was scared of her own mother. The woman had always kept her uptight since her childhood and drilled things into her mind just so she could be the perfect daughter. If she had ever been seen doing something the slightest bit impolite, she would be punished.

Many considered Momo's life to be perfect. Top grades, filthy rich parents, pretty appearance, and even got the whole prestigious university built just for her so she could have perfect education. But the real question was; she may have been gifted more than she could ever ask for, but was she treated like their daughter at all?

Needless to say, the answer to that is no, definitely not. After she had grown up into a state where she could take care of herself, her parents neglected her and only ever talked to her when it was important or she needed scolding. One of those times being now, when her mother spoke sharply from the other end of the line, "Momo, do you want to know what I've just heard about you?" 

"Wh-What may you be talking abou--" Momo was immediately cut off by her mother clearing her confusion up, "You're friends with him. The boy who always causes a nuisance and is hated deeply by the other students. I don't know his name neither do I want to, but this is a huge damage to your reputation, Momo."

The immense anxiety that overtook Momo, was immediately replaced by a sensation of rage. She was taken aback by the fact that when she was actually suffering, literally her own mother didn't bother to console her about it. And now, on the day where Momo is finally supposed to feel at peace, the woman just called her because there was a risk to her reputation.

God, if her mother knew that she was friends with Shoto, then she must've heard it from the recent news today from what happened in the hallway. Does that mean she just ignored the real situation and instead chose to focus on the fact that her daughter's reputation might be damaged because she befriended him?

Trying her best not to let her anger show through her words, Momo spoke, "My reputation was always this bad with the students for a foolish reason, mother. Today, the situation was cleared up and now there isn't a problem anymore. Surely, you must've known that if you bothered to notice?" Momo didn't mean to empathize on the word 'bothered', but she was too outraged to care at the moment.

"Momo, did you just talk back to your mother?" The raven haired girl's eyebrows furrowed in irritation at the realization that this woman was actually supposed to be her mother. Weren't mothers supposed to actually care for their children? At this point, she couldn't stop herself from expressing her aggravation. "Mother? Mother- did I hear that right? You called yourself my mother. You call yourself a mother when you never comforted me when I was at my lowest, when I was really suffering! You-..."

She stopped herself before she could say any more and her throat went awfully dry. She had just spilled out all her true thoughts and anger on accident, something that she was strictly instructed not to do her whole life. She never disobeyed her parents like this before. Who knows how the woman would react-

"Then I suppose you want me to tell your father about how unruly you just acted?"

Now Momo was silent at the mention of her father. She did not want this. No, she really did not want this. She was always deathly terrified of him, even more than her mother. Her father always threatened to be violent with her. She used to think it was just bullshit, but he stayed true to his words one time and left her with many injuries. The injuries weren't that severe, but it scarred her. And the thought of her mother just standing there and watching the situation unfold without helping Momo- no, she definitely did not want to go over that again and start crying.

Momo's moment of silence was loud and it gave the woman her answer. "That's what I thought. Now, if you don't want one word of this heard by your father, then I suggest you stop being friends with that boy. He means nothing but mischief." The raven haired girl hesitantly nodded in response. Despite the woman mentioning that it was a 'suggestion', it was obviously a command. And what can Momo do now? Disobey her? That wasn't even an option at this point.

Her mother didn't say anything more after that before hanging up the call. Momo turned off her phone and stared at the pitch black screen reminding her of the pure darkness of her past. She unintentionally loosened the grip of her other hand which held the book she wanted to read, which was long forgotten at this point, resulting it to fall on the floor. But she didn't care about that now.

Right now the poor girl was forced to neglect Shoto, her best friend who took the role of helping her when she was sad and always cheered her up instead of her own parents. God, if only their relationship was like before. Why can't she go back to having a hatred for him like she always did? Things would be much simpler if that were to be the case right now. That was impossible though now that their bond was more intimate and they were a lot closer. Nonetheless, she had to do this even if it hurt her. She couldn't imagine defying what her parents had already drilled into her mind since her young age.

Silent tears blurred her vision as they streamed down her cheeks and landed on her collarbone, with only the sound of her small sniffs being present in the air. She eventually broke down and devolved into a sobbing mess and dropped to her knees while trying to wipe the glistening tears out of her face. The clear sky and the bright sun outside seemed a lot duller now. 

Just a bit ago, she thought all her problems were gone and she could finally be in a somewhat peaceful state. Why do things like this always have to happen to her? Why did she have to suffer so much? Just what in the world did she do to deserve this? "You're pathetic, Momo... Pathetic... Cr-crying won't make things any better...", was all she could mumble to herself while she cried her heart out with her voice echoing in the room completely devoid of any other people.

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ (𝙫𝙤𝙩𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙝𝙚𝙡𝙥 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙗𝙤𝙤𝙠 𝙧𝙚𝙘𝙚𝙞𝙫𝙚 𝙖𝙩𝙩𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣!) 

a/n: IM SO SORRY FOR THE SHORT CHAPTER ILL MAKE IT UP TO U GUYS I PROMISEEEE I HOPE THIS IS OK FOR NOW