21 | 'hopelessly fell in love'

MOMO WATCHED AS droplets of rainwater trickled down her window and heaved a heavy sigh, the sound of the rain muffling out the thoughts racing in her mind. Shoto Todoroki hit her life like a fucking train and she knew it.

So she loved him. Okay. That was more than enough stress inducing information for her to take in right now. But would he feel the same? No. That couldn't possibly happen. Why would he, anyway? They both shared very different personalities and she wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't in his line of interest. Hell, she was probably in a whole different world from that. And so, obviously, he didn't like her back, or her brain had originally told her so.

If Momo had to be forced to smile and laugh through it all in front of him as if there wasn't an aching sensation in her chest from her heart shattering into pieces, that was a hard task by its own for her. Shoto was right. She was a bad liar, a very terrible one at that. So how was she supposed to fabricate all her emotions away?

Perhaps the only way for her to stay away from such a problem was for her to start avoiding him again. Maybe even to cut all sort of contact with him. But how could she bring herself push her best friend out of her life just like that...?

A sudden ringtone erupting from her phone was quick to pull her out of her train of thoughts.

She reached for her bedside table and grabbed her phone, her eyes widening slightly as she read the contact name of the person who had decided to call her on the rainy day. Pressing the device against her ear, she got to hear someone she'd been longing to talk to the past few months. "Momo, it's been so long since I got to talk to you!", a sweet comforting voice from the other end chirped happily.

"Hey, Kendo...", she greeted back in a voice more frail than she wanted it to be. The raven haired girl found her lips spreading across her features in a weak smile despite stress still eating away at her from the inside out.

Kendo was her only childhood best friend back then, and they studied in the same school for a long time before unfortunately parting ways due to Kendo moving away to study abroad for university. They barely ever got the time to talk with each other due to studies, but they did call each other every now and then, one of those times being right now.

"Hm? You don't sound that happy. Oh, you don't want to talk to your good old friend, is that it?" Momo knew very well that she was joking, but couldn't help herself from looking out the window up to the sky filled with gray clouds with a frown on her face. Kendo was right. Her voice was all throaty and she was sure that she sounded like a zombie, and wouldn't be surprised if she looked like one too with the dark eyebags clouding underneath her eyes. She had been running on low hours of sleep. God, falling in love was so difficult. "Sorry, it's just..."

"I was only teasing, there's no need to be sorry! What's on your mind?" Kendo had a reassuring voice which soothed her nerves, even if it was just a little bit. She couldn't be more grateful for a friend like her. She opened her mouth to speak but no words came out. Taking a moment to contemplate on what she would answer with, she instead chose to divert the topic, "How's everything going with you and your boyfriend?"

Kendo seemed to get the hint and replied in an overly enthusiastic tone, "Oh, Tetsutetsu is as loyal and sweet as ever! We're planning to move in together right after graduating." Momo simply smiled. Good for them. She was sort of envious of Kendo if she had to be honest. Because unlike her, Kendo could actually sort out all the problems in her life without being miserable at it and got to be happy like she always deserved to be.

"Speaking of which, what about your love life, Momo? You never really brought it up." Her own love life? She sat in silence for a moment. Her thoughts wandered to her and Shoto. How they talked about anything with each other without a care in the world, how he helped her when she was at her lowest, how she hopelessly fell in love with him...

Momo always thought of love to be magical. The storybooks and novels she had read on romance always portrayed it so beautifully. She never actually paid much mind to it in real life nor ever thought getting in a relationship would somewhat benefit her, but when she met Shoto, she was introduced to the emotion in a new light.

The truth that she had got to know was that being in love absolutely sucked. Hell, it was nowhere near the fairytale-like feeling she imagined it to be.

"I think I love someone, Kendo. But I'm not too sure if he likes me back or not...", she mumbled sadly as if there wasn't a spear piercing through her heart. She wasn't ever all that expressive with her emotions, always keeping them locked away in a cage for no one but her to see, but she felt that Kendo could help her. She always did, after all. So she didn't see the harm in giving her a vague description of her situation.

"Really?! That's surprising! You always said relationships were pointless... Oh, this is so exciting! Who's the lucky guy? No- wait, I already know. It's him, isn't it? To... Todo... Oh right, Todoroki! Almost forgot his name for a second there." The raven haired girl listened to her friend rambling on and on from the other end of the call and waited for her to calm down. She was about to ask her how she knew Shoto's name, but was quick to remember that she had told Kendo on how she was becoming good friends with him while catching up on each others' lives through text messages.

"Sorry for rambling! I was just super happy for you." Kendo cleared her throat and continued, "Honestly, instead of jumping to conclusions, you should talk it over with him. I'm sure he'd understand. If he's your friend, then I know that he's a great guy. And if you ever find out that he doesn't feel the same as you, then remember that I'll always be here for you. The fact that I'm living in another country wont ever separate us, I'll make sure of it."

A small smile graced Momo's lips. That definitely helped lift some weight off her shoulders. "Thanks, Kendo. I'm glad I have a friend like you."

After chatting with her a bit more, she ended the call as much as she didn't want to. Of course, Kendo had a personal life and matters to deal with and she didn't want to take up any more of her time than she already had.

She let out a breath she didn't know she had been holding. Talk it over with him, huh? It was easier said than done. And as much as she didn't want to admit it, she knew that she would never be able to handle the heartbreak of him not being able to return her feelings.

Avoiding him seemed like a considerable option to her at this point. 

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ (𝙫𝙤𝙩𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙝𝙚𝙡𝙥 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙗𝙤𝙤𝙠 𝙧𝙚𝙘𝙚𝙞𝙫𝙚 𝙖𝙩𝙩𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣!)