chapter 3

【3】

Dear gentle-readers,

Ambitious mamas rejoice, for the new Duke of Hastings continues to grace our fair city with his presence. And, oh, what an impressive presence it is! It should be noted that the Duke has been overheard announcing to mamas everywhere that he has no plans of ever marrying.

This author wonders which brazen matchmaker shall rise to such a challenge, for this competition is well underway.

It has also reached my ears that Mr. Colin Bridgerton shall be awarded the year's grand prize, when he sweeps Miss Thompson off her pretty little slippered feet.

In other news, a most peculiar suitor for Miss Daphne Bridgerton has emerged.

Hope skimmed over the pamphlet in her hand, standing in the baby blue colored drawing room, nervously nibbling the bottom of her lip. Nothing had came up about her today which was astonishing to say the least. The door to the room opened revealing Mrs. Bridgerton.

"My dear, you have another caller. Lord Davenport." She said, Hope didn't pay much attention, her eyes were stuck on the words before her. "Can you tell his lordship that I am busy?" She mumbled, before turning around and nearly dropping the paper in her hands.

There stood a young man who looked no older than twenty one. He had vibrant red hair, almost similar to the Featherington's. His jawline was smooth and he had freckles kissed upon his cheeks. His eyes were the color of emerald jewels.

"It is an honor to be in your presence, Miss Buckingham." He bowed with a smile that could make the most wicked woman swoon. He had a bouquet full of white daises in one hand, and a small white velvet box in the other. Hope opened her mouth, she didn't expect any callers to slip past Anthony, but I suppose Lord Davenport was an exception.

A stutter left her mouth before the man chuckled bashfully.

"I promise I won't take up most of your time." He said. Hope breathed in before clearing her throat quietly. "And who shall chaperone us, Mrs. Bridgerton?" She asked, the mother smiled softly before signaling towards the open door and in came Benedict with an excited grin.

"I asked Anthony to retire his services and escort Daphne on a walk. I wanted this to be perfect for you so, I called upon Benedict, since the two of you trust one another enough." She said, Benedict walked over to a couch and plopped down on it. He had a sketchbook and a charcoal tracer in his hands.

"Oh, and do not pay me any mind dear Hope, I shall remain as quiet as a church mouse." He said, obviously lying. Anthony didn't have any boundaries but his baby brother Benedict had no home training. He would say things that people would double take at, which made Hope tense.

Mrs. Bridgerton left the room and everything went silent. Benedict began sketching and Hope was searching for things to converse about.

"I have not heard much about your family, Lord Davenport. Your family must not live around London, I suppose?" She said, he had chuckled. "Unfortunately no, my family just stays far away from that Lady Whistledown. But, my family is widely known for our great philosophers and our occasional engineers." He said, holding out the flowers that were for her.