chapter 22

"Bee In Your Bonnet."
[22]

Dearest gentlereader,

If the Ancient Greeks were members of the ton, they might have added to their Olympic pentathlon one additional event. The hosting of a country visit.

This, of course, is the week of Lady Bridgerton's annual Hearts and Flowers Ball, the year's most coveted invitation in the country, and no event better designed to show the might and mettle of its host.

The house seemed busy, incredibly busy. There were servants all over the estate preparing for this week-long event, the house keepers were dusting or arranging bouquets that consisted of yellow roses, white daises and... Oh lilacs. I scrabbled down the stairs, the slight train of my red dress dragged down the carpet, it seemed to pair well with the red rouge on my lips, in my humble opinion. Violet seemed to be everywhere; with Daphne close on her hip.

I sighed before looking over at a housekeeper sticking in a few bundles of lilacs in a bundle of bouquets that were tied to the railing of the stairs. I walked down the stairs before making my way into Anthony's study, which is where I'd knew he'd be. I entered into the room to see the eldest Bridgerton somehow sulking in a chair no far from Benedict, who was painting on a canvas propped up on an easel. On a side table next to Anthony was a bowl of fruits that consisted of pears, grapes... ooh grapes.

I walked over to the fruit basket and grabbed he cluster of grapes from the bowl. "Ugh... I was... painting that." I heard Benedict try to intercede, but that did not stop me considering that I already had one of the berries in my mouth. I chewed happily. I heard him sigh, he looked to be not dressed... still. But, he did look like he had gotten himself cleaned up, he only wore black slacks, which had tan suspenders attached to them--but they hung low on his waist--and he was wearing a white ruffled white long-sleeved button up shirt.

I chuckled softly before I seen Anthony grab an apple from the bowl. Benedict examined the dress I was wearing, as if I hadn't worn the color red before, he then smirked. "The men in town surely won't be able to keep their eyes to themselves." He said, he looked to be focusing on what he was painting now more than ever, he had changed the color that was bled onto his brush quickly. "I surely hope you do not mean that." I said, furrowing my eyebrows before taking a seat at Anthony's desk. Benedict chuckles softly before looking back at his project.

"What he means to say is that you're beautiful and the mere sight of you will cause even Whistledown to be at a loss for words. You're welcome, brother." He said, my eyes furrowed at Anthony's comment. I looked away from my brother before looking back at the very wide windows that were in his study. It showed the back yard and the many housekeepers and workers sprucing up the place so our guests could be comfortable.

"Do you think this was all mistake?" I heard Anthony begin which made me turn to look at him, something was plaguing his mind, I could tell. But, what could it possibly be? Was it because he failed to engage to Miss Edwina, or was it something else? "This business of inviting the Sharmas out early? It has made the whole affair so fraught with difficulty." Anthony said with a taste of melancholiness.

"The whole marriage-mart business seems entirely too difficult to me. But if one must participate in it why not do it..." Benedict trailed off before setting down his pallet and brush and running towards one of the gaping windows and flinging it open with a strained smile. "...out in the fresh air!" He said before clapping his hands together. I smiled before shaking my head.

The event was busting with different people all over the ton, the backyard held tables and chairs, food, an orchestra. I even heard the men were going for a hunt. I walked outside, watching children run around happily as the sound of the orchestra filled my ears, my curly hair--which was pinned back slightly--blew in the wind. I could practically smell the grass and the trees.