chapter 9

【9】

"You must come with me." Benedict asked with a look of slight panic. I shook my head. "I shall let the men who placed themselves in this predicament fix there problems." I said, fully intent on what I was saying. Benedict sighs before crossing his arms.

"I am unable to disappear from the crossfire of there problems, and I feel that if I am alone I shall go insane. Hope, please." He practically begged. I breathed in, rubbing my temples. "It seems I can never say no to you, dear Benedict." I said, it was nearly dawn already and I wasted my energy on the problem at hand.

We took some private horses over towards a wide open plain. The Duke was already there and Anthony had two pistols with him. I nervously walked side by side with Benedict, was this really about to happen? We're these two men about to risk their lives over marriage?

There was a man standing near a big oak tree with an eccentric white wig. Anthony walked up to the him, he seemed to be in a hurry.

"Doctor, I appreciate your attendance and discretion." Anthony said with a nod. "You have my blunt?" The man asked, Anthony handed the man something I could not see very well due to distance. The man hummed.

"Very well. Try not to go dying while I am present." He said, Benedict quickly stepped forward. "If the goal is merely to wound, where should my brother aim?" Benedict asked, borderline nervously. The older man scoffed.

"You think you have the skill to guide the path of a moving bullet? Then you are either a fool or the king's finest marksman. Which is it?" He said, I looked over at Benedict's face, his worry only broaden. I nibbled my bottom lip, my heart pounded as it was nestled into my chest.

Anthony looked over at his brother before leaning into his ear. "I have one last matter to discuss with you." He whispered. Benedict sighs. "You have already provided ample instruction. I shall contact the solicitor and safeguard our sisters' dowries, as well as Hope's." He was about to continue but he was cut off by his older brother.

"An additional task." He said.

"In the top drawer of my desk you shall find the name of a lady. If I die, you must ensure she is provided for. Do you swear?" He said with his usual stern look. The words if I die, hurted Benedict beyond injury. "Benedict, do you—."

"I swear..." The man said, a silence nestled in the air. Anthony reached into his pocket and pulled out a watch... his long departed father's watch. He opened Benedict's hand and put the item inside. Benedict glanced down at the watch and Anthony placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Brother—." Before he could respond fully Anthony walked away. "That is all." We're the words he left him. I watch him leave and I looked back over at Benedict, who was staring down at the watch. I couldn't stand it.

This had to stop, men and their unthinkable decisions are about to turn this family into ruins. I could not let that happen. I watched the Duke approach the Vicount and I clenched my jaw and watched them each get handed a pistol.

They practically glared at one another as they stood in place. "For what it is worth, I am sorry." He said, it was genuine, I could feel it. But Anthony was not one to forgive easily. "Your apology is worth nothing to me." He swiftly said. They turned there backs to one another and my body began to light on fire, like the rays of sun bursted through the clouds and claimed me as victim.