chapter 4

【4】

It was the next evening and we were attending another ball, but this evening was more out in the open. The dance floor was outside and there were tons of different prestigious families there. I went off on my own to avoid the eyes of Colin, as well as Benedict. I did not know if he knew about the problem at hand but it was best to rid myself of them both.

I walked through the grass, holding up my blue silk dress with a gold pin in the middle of my breasts. I looked around to see people drinking and dancing. I sighed before looking over towards the dance floor to see Penelope Featherington standing talking with someone. I didn't know her well but, at least she wasn't Colin.

I walked up to Penelope and her eyes landed on me. She smiled softly before bowing. "Ms. Buckingham. Lovely to see you." She said, I bowed as well before glancing around. "I can say the same. I hope you are well." I said with a kind smile.

"Very much indeed, oh..." She trails off and looks behind me. I slowly turned my head. "Colin! I did not know you would be here." She said, bowing again.

Colin's eyes looked over me and I gave him a straining smile. "Sorry to disappoint you." He said in a joking manner, looking at Penelope. They both chuckle.

"Have you seen Miss Thompson?" He asked, I could see something flicker in Penelope's eyes that I could not quite catch. "She is ill. My mama had to stay home with her. Papa had to chaperone. I'm quite enjoying the fact that he is here. Mama would never allow me to wear a dress like this. Not, uh, yellow enough I think." Penelope chuckles with a flush forming on her cheeks.

Suddenly Miss Cowper, a bitch of this day and age walks up to us, looking right at Colin.

A seductive smirk was on her lips. "Mr. Bridgerton. I believe you owe me a dance this evening and I have only one more space remaining on my card at present." She says, I rolled my eyes. "How convenient." Penelope says with a sarcastic smile.

Suddenly Miss Cowper's drink made its way all down Penelope's dress, by accident.

Penelope gasped and stepped back.

"Penelope I did not see you there." She said before her eyes trickled to me. "Oh! Miss Buckingham. I see that you've gotten, more plush lately. I guess staying at the Bridgerton home means lavish meals."

My heart nearly stopped and a sarcastic smile made its way on my lips. A giggle nearly left her mouth.

"I'm afraid I cannot offer you that dance, Miss Cowper. I am to escort Miss Featherington to the floor." He said, before he grabbed the red heads hand and left. I shakily breathed in before I leave Miss Cowper to the wind.

My heart hammered and I couldn't think. My hands shook and it felt like the air around me was thinning. My legs moved faster and I grabbed the ends of my dress and began running around a building. Once I could see no one and no one could see me, I leaned against the brick wall.

I shakily breathed in and my eyes began to water, it's finally gotten bad enough that other people could notice it. I could not go back out there, not after what happened.

I suddenly heard an announcer yelling loudly.

"It is with great privilege I present Vauxhall's newest spectacle of illumination. Feast your eyes above and allow all that is radiant to overwhelm you!" He said before the tree's around all illuminated like stars in the sky. The light glistened off my skin and reflected from the tears that curved down my cheeks.