chapter 20

"The Game That Determines Your Place."
[20]

A brash game of croquet. That was what I was in store for this afternoon with the Sharma family and the Bridgerton's. A game of croquet was quite common amongst the family, since I've been staying for now 5 years I have been in a dozen games.

Was I particularly good? Possibly. If you'd ask Daphne she'd say I played surprisingly well, but if you'd ask Colin or Benedict, they'd say I played unfairly.

But, here I was walking outside with Daphne, Edwina, and Miss Kate Sharma. Daphne stuck a white tiny arch that was the wicket in an odd angle, right in front of a statue. "That'll teach Colin." She said, dusting off her gloved hands. I chuckled softly. "Last time, he put a wicket behind the goat barn."

Kate Sharma raised an eyebrow with confusion. "What exactly are the rules of this game?" She asked as we began walking away from the wicket. "Pall-mall is less about the rules, and more about the goal. Which is, of course, to hit your ball through each wicket." I explained as I glanced back at the two sisters. Edwina's face was shaped softer than Kate's who had a sharp jawline and button nose.

"The first player to send their ball through the last wicket wins." I finished. Daphne hummed with a grin. "Simple enough. Though, if you are feeling devilish, you can use your turn to knock an opponent's ball as far away from their next wicket as you would like." She then said. Edwina looked at the redhead with confusion.

"Why waste a turn if the point is to get one's ball through the wicket?" She asked, we stopped walking and me and Daphne stood in front of the two women. "To infuriate your opponent, I gather?" Miss Kate Sharma said. I chuckled softly before nodding my head. "Precisely. It is a poor player who plays the game, and wise one who plays their opponent." Daphne said. Kate smirked before sticking her nose slightly in the air:

"I believe I shall rather enjoy this game." She said, making all of us chuckle. I glanced back to see the rest of the Bridgerton's coming out of the mansion and into the wide yard. I looked back at the sisters before signaling them to follow me. Daphne went back to the others and the rest of us went over to large tree that provided much needed shade.

"Benedict is a solid shot, but he avoids conflict. Colin is crafty, he will strike when he thinks you are least suspecting it, so always suspect it. Eloise concentrates entirely on defeating her older brothers. The hope is that she gets so absorbed by them that she forgets about you. I, play along with the wind, so whatever I feel is right about a play I will perform it. Though, Benedict takes this time to get me distracted."

"And then there is Anthony." I said before trailing off. Kate hummed in dissatisfaction. "Let me guess. A most ruthless, cutthroat player." She said plainly. I could see Edwina shoot him a glare. I chuckled.

"You we're right in having a disliking in him. But, you are unfortunately correct. That is not to say he has no honor. He is usually the most profound and gentle of companions when it comes to being his partner on the field." I said, looking over at Edwina who smiled softly. Edwina glanced over at Anthony, who was speaking with Colin. "I'm sure the viscount is an excellent player. We will all pass a very pleasant afternoon." She said, Kate Sharma sighed before nodding her head.

We then all gathered around a basket full of different colored mallets. The Bridgerton's all began to bicker on who got what. "Let us toss a coin." Colin said. Eloise looked at her brother with frustration. "Last year, we promised to let the youngest pick first." She said. Anthony rolled his eyes.