chapter 29

"I'll Only Be An Ocean Away"

[29]

The Bridgertons, along with Hope, strolled down the cobblestone path of the town. The Ton's gazes lingered on the family, a mix of embarrassment and hushed conversations following in their wake. Some hurriedly averted their eyes, avoiding any potential scandal by avoiding the Bridgertons altogether.

In contrast, a few individuals offered Hope a tentative bow, recognizing her as the Princess. It was a gesture born out of obligation, acknowledging her status as the Princess Royal and the soon-to-be declared heir to the English Throne.

Benedict, Hope's fiance, walked by her side, his expression marked by concern. He wished he could unravel whatever was troubling her mind, to have her share her thoughts with him. Despite her physical proximity, holding onto his arm as they strolled, Benedict couldn't shake the feeling that she was emotionally distant, an entire ocean away.

Hope's gaze remained fixed ahead, seemingly lost in her thoughts until they were approached by another young married couple. The couple offered a soft smile to Hope and bowed respectfully as they passed by.

Violet bestowed a warm smile upon a family seated on a bench. However, their reaction was quite different. The mother instinctively patted her daughter's knee and whispered a warning, prompting the family to avert their gaze. Despite this, Anthony, undeterred, approached them with a genial smile.

"Miss Patridge, such a pleasant afternoon, is it not?" he said, attempting to engage them in conversation.

The daughter nodded, reciprocating the smile. "Yes, indeed, my Lord," she replied. Her mother, sensing the need for a swift exit, promptly stood up, adjusting her gloves.

"My dear, I believe we will be late for the Gorings. Make haste," she declared, seizing her daughter's arm, and with a remarkable speed, they disappeared from the scene. As they watched the family leave Anthony could see the Sharma's in the distance and his eyes stuck on Kate, who seemed to look at him as if she was saying sorry.

Anthony looked before suddenly seeing the Featherington's approach. The smile on Lady Featherignton's face told him all he needed to know. She was no longer in the spotlight of Lady Whistledown, her family was currently thriving. They had a new Lord Featherington would was indeed handsome in the face, he was a cousin of her late husband.

Anthony observed the approaching Featheringtons, noting the triumphant gleam in Lady Featherington's eyes. She wasted no time in addressing Lord Bridgerton.

"Is this not a surprise, to see you out in public, Lord Bridgerton, so soon?" she said, attempting to conceal a growing smirk.

"Lady Featherington, it is now as though we are in mourning," Violet responded, mustering another grin. The red-headed woman feigned a sigh.

"No one understands the pain of a broken engagement better than myself. I never thought we would recover after Mr. Bridgerton and Miss Thompson's falling out, and yet here we are. Miss Thompson, now Lady Crane, Phillipa now Mrs. Finch, and Prudence now engaged," Lady Featherington boasted, showcasing her children like prized possessions. Tension thickened between the two families. Violet chuckled, a thin veneer of pleasantness concealing her true feelings.

"Yes, it is rather amusing how things work themselves out, is it not? My lovely girl Hope, now engaged to be wed to my son Benedict and also your Princess Royal and future Queen of England. I suppose things do turn out in the end," Violet retorted, her smile belying a subtle edge.