chapter 28

"Mrs. Bridgerton."

[28]

Not only did Hope's sudden outburst reveal a lie within the Buckingham family but it had also managed to dig out a certain secret between the Bridgerton sons. The soft glow of candlelight cast a warm ambiance across the room, highlighting the antique furniture and bookshelves that adorned the space. Anthony Bridgerton, typically composed, paced anxiously, the weight of his recent actions evident in the lines of his face. Benedict Bridgerton, leaning against the window frame, observed his brother with a knowing smirk.

Anthony had been caught in a predicament, the most crazed of predicaments.

Not even an hour after the sudden outburst Edwina had caught the Viscount in a very... intimate setting with Kate Sharma, which has caused an uproar for everyone including the Queen. The ton, however, believed that Edwina was simply unhappy with the decorations Anthony had arranged, requesting something more luxurious, but the Bridgertons knew the truth.

And now so did Benedict.

Benedict's eyes followed Anthony as he attempted to explain away the compromising situation with Kate Sharma. Anthony flustered and defensive, tried to convince Benedict and himself that it was a mere lapse in judgment.

"I don't have feelings for her, Benedict. It was a mistake, a momentary lapse. I am meant to marry Edwina, you know that. Kate and I... it's complicated," Anthony insisted, avoiding Benedict's penetrating gaze.

Benedict, however, couldn't be easily deceived. So that was what Hope and Anthony were bickering about before the wedding. He sighed. "Complicated? I've seen simpler paintings in the Louvre. Anthony, don't lie to yourself. We've all seen the way you look at Kate. You can't hide your feelings for her anymore."

Anthony's eyes darted around the room, seeking an escape from the truth. He decided to change the topic, subtly bringing up Benedict's sticky predicament as well. His future wife. "I've been meaning to talk to you... about a certain woman you love to argue is just your best friend." As his words left his lips Benedict internally groaned rolling his eyes and looking back out the window to see a group of ladies admiring a peacock. "You cannot deny it either, brother. The looks, the great tender notions between the two of you."

His brother almost interjected but Anthony was quick to interrupt. "You are in love with her admit it." He said, Benedict, still looking at the people below, noticing both of the Buckingham sisters climbing into a royal carriage. They were leaving...

Benedict's expression softened as he thought about Hope, who had become an integral part of his heart. She was the muse he had always wanted. "Hope is different. She's my best friend. I care about her deeply."

Anthony smirked, a knowing glint in his eyes. "Care about her, or have you fallen for her, Benedict?"

Benedict hesitated, then sighed in resignation. "But I can't jeopardize our friendship. What if she doesn't feel the same way? I can't risk losing her."

Anthony, surprisingly calm, leaned against a nearby table. "You know, Benedict, I may not understand much about love, but I do know that Hope has had a plethora of terrible men wanting her hand. She deserves someone like you – someone who appreciates her for who she is."

A sudden revelation hung in the air as Benedict couldn't hold back the truth any longer. He squeezed his eyes shut, almost afraid of Anthony's response. "Actually, brother... I have already proposed to Hope."