chapter 14

【14】

Dear gentle reader,

The time for summer is over and the time for warm wool and jolly music has arrived. Let us see if the Ton handles the chilly weather along with the teeth-chattering drama.

The final ball for any season is distinguished by one of two things, anticipation... or dread.

For while those who have been successful in this year's marriage market look forward to flaunting their perfect, joyous unions... others shudder at the thought of spending one last night before the discerning eyes of the ton.

As they know, indeed, just what the evening signifies, that their time is officially up.

In the glow of my dressing room, surrounded by the soft hum of conversation, I focused on pinning up my hair while Benedict lounged on my bed. Laughter danced between us as we indulged in the lighthearted banter that had become a refuge from the impending grandeur of Daphne's ball at the Duke's estate – an affair so illustrious that even the Queen herself would grace it with her presence.

"Word is the Featheringtons lost their money due to the man of the house," Benedict gossiped shamelessly, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"Lord Featherington never knew how to handle his funds. I feel sorry for his poor family," I responded, my tone carrying a touch of sympathy. Benedict chuckled as I pinned up half of my hair, letting the other cascade down my back. "Last ball of the season, thank the heavens. No more pestering suitors, I get to be a free woman," I declared with a sigh of relief.

"Yes!" Benedict exclaimed, rising to his feet with a contagious smile. "You'll get to attend parties and be the harlot you oh-so-crave to be."

I shot him a playful glare as I turned around, putting on a pair of ruby earrings. "Me and Isaac won't have to hide. I'm sure the Queen will defend me now that we're good friends," I confidently asserted. Benedict hummed, his fingers exploring my jewelry box behind me.

"Look at you, all confident. I remember when you feared your own opinion," he reminisced, his voice carrying a hint of nostalgia. I straightened the gold dress I was wearing, meeting his gaze in the mirror. "And now...?" I prompted.

"You are much more," he admitted, a tenderness in his words. Placing the ruby crown in my hands, he crowned me with the jeweled piece. A soft smile played on my lips as he placed his hands on my shoulders. "I am very proud of you."

My eyebrows furrowed slightly, a playful resistance. "You're sounding like your mother, Benedict. Please, keep your words of satisfaction in me to a minimum. You must get ready for your sister's ball," I teased, walking around him and out of my room, leaving the echo of his pride lingering in the air.

The ball unfolded under the open sky, with the entire Ton in attendance. Amidst the lively atmosphere, I found myself in the company of the Bridgertons, engaging in conversations that flowed seamlessly. Eloise, dressed in a gown that befit her, hinted at the imminent arrival of her official debut in the upcoming season.

A smile played on my lips, appreciating the joyous ambiance surrounding us. Mrs. Bridgerton approached my side, her curiosity piqued. "Everyone is having a marvelous time, dear. Why aren't you? Where is Benedict?" she inquired, scanning the crowd. I chuckled, a casual response on my lips. "I'm sure he's here somewhere, and I'm fine, Mrs. Bridgerton," I assured her. Her gaze wandered momentarily.