chapter 23

"My Heart Is Yours."

[23]

I laid in my bed as the thunder roared, my breath deepened. I could not sleep. I don't know if it was the rumbling storm outside my window, or the fact that the incident with Lord Davenport stamped itself in my memories, taking front stage. I rolled around in my cold bed, seeking any sign of comfort but I found none.

I sat up in bed, my curly hair pooled at my shoulders. I gulped deeply before getting out bed. Since I only had on my sleeveless night gown you could see the bruises on my wrists that were already darkening on my skin. I walked out of my room and went straight to the kitchen to prepare myself a cup of tea. The room was dimly lit, you could hardly see your own hand in front of you. I walked over towards a table that had a half used candle on it with a box a matches next to it. I grabbed the matches and lit the candle. The room illuminated slightly and I could finally see the walls around me, a tranquil feeling spread through my blood.

"Trouble sleeping?" I heard someone say, which made me look up to see Benedict.

I hummed, beginning to prepare myself a cup of tea, I wonder if Miss Kate Sharma told Anthony what happened... and I wonder if Anthony told Benedict. "I suppose." I said pouring the hot water that was in the glass teapot into the cup, the liquid turned a mellowed brown. "Did Lord Davenport say anything to you?" He asked, which made my movements still. The room flickered with light from the storm.

"No." I lied. Why did I lie?

I heard Benedict's footsteps come closer to me, I began stirring sugar into my cup. "Hope." He said in a certain tone, I seen in the corner of my eye that he was now right beside me, back leaned against the table. His arms were crossed as he looked at me, but I couldn't look at him. "Look at me." He said softly. I sipped the warm tea, before I sat down the cup. I felt his pointer finger and middle finger curve under my chin and turn my face to look at him.

He looked concerned, deeply concerned.

"You can tell me." He said, which caused my eyes to sting. I swallowed deeply before glancing around the room. "I can't," I said if I could muster what happened in words I would. Benedict didn't look disappointed at my answer, he nearly never was. Every time I was dealing with my own demons or some person who tried to insult me, I couldn't help but take it to heart, but Benedict would always wait until I was ready to explain how I felt.

"Whatever Lord Davenport has said to you--." I cut him off with a hug, my face buried in his chest and I squeezed my eyes shut. I felt arms slowly wrap around me, engulfing me in warmth. I felt him place his chin on the top of my head.

It was the next ball of the evening and the theme was the color creme and pink. The room the hall was stationed was painted a mute pink, which made the room appear bigger than it was. Some of the invited guests were waltzing on the dance floor to the county-like music.

Hope stood beside Daphne who was talking to a group of guests, she smiled her pearly white teeth at them which could charm just about anyone.

Hope sighed before looking around the room, nearly everyone was dancing or laughing, enjoying the night.

"Well isn't this awful?" She heard an almost nasally soft spoken voice beside her. She turned her head curiously to see a girl with deep brown hair and fair-toned skin. Her cheeks were plush with a reddened blush, and her lips were in a permanent pout. She wore a long-sleeved silk creme dress and she wore a gold tiara on her head. "Pardon me? You are...?" Hope said with a raised eyebrow.