chapter 17

"Unusual Family Bindings"
【17】

A trumpet sounded getting everyone's attention in the ballroom. Suddenly the Queen took a step forward with a smile. "Your presence is noted, and your queen most appreciative. Allow it to now be my honor to present to you the season's diamond." She looked around the room before her eyes landed upon a timid Edwina Sharma.

"Miss Edwina Sharma." She said. Everyone gasped and clapped for the girl, whose eyes filled with joy. One of the Queen's guardsmen, escorted Miss Edwina up to her. She bowed gracefully.

I clapped with a soft smile before I suddenly seen a very familiar face. My eyes stayed on the man, Isaac Riddle, who clapped slowly. His gaze touched mine and I breathed in slowly, feeling a chill down my spine. "You look at him the way I look at a finished painting, dear Hope." Benedict said with a smirk as he stood next to me. "Every man needs his muse, does he not?" I said before walking away from him and straight to Sir Issac Riddle.

Dear gentle reader,

While this author finds Miss Edwina Sharma to be an exceptional young lady, it is about time I used these pages of record for something else. A shift.

Is the entire practice of naming a diamond not... well, rather ridiculous?

Should a woman not be valued for so much more than her dancing skills or her comportment? Should we not value a woman instead for her candor, her character, her true accomplishments?

Perhaps if the queen abandoned this absurdity that is the diamond, we would all see that a woman can be so much more.

the next day....

Dearest gentle reader,

It has been said that competition is an opportunity for us to rise and stand ready before our greatest of challenges. Well, if what this author hears this morning is true, then a great challenge concerning this season's diamond has been set forth, indeed.

Any suitor wishing to gain an audience with Miss Edwina Sharma must first take the rather prickly spinster of a beast otherwise known as her sister.

Of course, the only competition that compels my attention is the game of courtship. So best of luck to this year's players. Do try not to stumble on the starting line.

Anthony and Benedict we're getting their annual shave. Their cheeks were white with shaving cream. Two workers carefully began shaving off their beards as the brothers laid on couches next to each other's.

"Miss Sharma?" Benedict said with confusion. "Miss Edwina Sharma. Not the sister. Miss Edwina will suffice." Anthony said.

"It is only out of the greatest love of my family that I aim to choose a bride with my head not my..." He trailed off looking over at his brother. "Heart." He said, looking away. Benedict raised an eyebrow.

"Does Miss Edwina share your affection?" He asked but his brother sighed. "Not yet. She would have done if it were not for—." Anthony was cut off by Benedict.