chapter 11

【11】

I ran down the grand stairs, my yellow dress blew behind me and the maids and servants watched as I nervously ran across the ballroom floor and straight towards the open double doors that led outside. My handmaiden followed after me, calling my name.

"Ma'am, your hair hasn't been finished!" She said with a hairpin between her fingertips. My hair was half pinned up when I heard that my father was just outside. "No need, my father has arrived! I need everything to be perfect!" I yelled back at her.

I ran outside and down the stairs and saw my father get out of the black carriage. A content expression rested upon his face as he looked at the building before him. He hummed, straightening up the bow tie he had on.

His eyes landed on me and he smiled softly, extending out his arms. "My darlin'." His southern accent was hardly strong. I grinned brightly and hugged him tight. The smell of the country was still strong on his collar.

"I've missed you." He said. "And I you." I said before letting him go. He looked back at the building. "What a shame that a stranger like me would ever grace the walls of this here establishment! Whoever am I?" He shouted into the house with a grin. Suddenly, Mrs. Bridgerton came out with a rush.

My father looked back at me before motioning towards my hair. "Let's fix that, before lunch." He commented before looking at the Vicountess. I blinked twice at his words.

"I am very sorry, Mr. Buckingham. Things have been a complete circus ever since my dear Daphne went off. I do apologize." She said with warm smile. My father shook his head. "No need, Mrs. Bridgerton. All I would request is your wonderous gooseberry pie." He said before looking back at me.

"Hope, inside." He said before I followed his orders.

The entire family sat in the dining hall at a long table. My father sat to my right and Benedict to my left. Everyone happily ate together and I hastened along and introduced the Bridgerton's to my father one by one.

"The eldest is Anthony, he is the most hardest out of them all. He fits the name of Vicount, indeed. And the youngest is Hyacinth, she has a desire of both the arts and mind, she will be the most intelligent." I said, making some of the siblings scoff. "You jest." Gregory said. Hyacinth was quick to gasp at his words.

I chuckled. "And that is Gregory, he has a harsh tongue like his eldest brother. And there is Colin, he enjoys travels and wonders. He is traveling to Greece soon, father." I said, sipping the lemonade in my glass. My father hummed. "Very interesting, I've also wanted to travel but I had 3 daughters, so dreams unfulfilled." He said in a joking manner but his words made my beaming smile lessen. The table had gotten quiet and I was quick to motion to Benedict.

"And this, father, is my dear Benedict. My sun and moon if I may jester. He is who I've been glued hip to hip to so you must get to know him first." I said, placing a hand on Benedict's knee. Benedict placed one hand on his heart in a playful manner and placed the other hand on top of mine.

Mrs. Bridgerton chuckled. "I have no idea how these two crossed paths and then became good friends. I assure you it was not my doing." She said, making everyone laugh heartily. My father hummed with toothy grin. "I am hearing all about the Bridgerton's but I have yet to hear anything of your suitors... Hope...?" He said, looking directly at me.