chapter 12

【12】

"He is insufferable!" I said, pacing my room as Benedict watched in a chair near my vanity. "Was he raised to always be this judgmental? Does he even for a second think of your needs... what a snobby little..." Benedict trails off.

"Still... I must marry to make him happy." I said with a sigh, standing still. Benedict stands to his feet. "Maybe this upcoming lunch with the Ton shall soothe this devil." He said, crossing his arms.

"We can only hope." I said.

The Bridgerton family as well as the Ton filled the spacious garden. Servers were around handing out different cheeses paired with a tart wine. I stood with Benedict next to an extravagant water fountain. I intentionally hid from my father for several reasons.

I did not have the time for him to ramble on about how disappointed he was in me.

The pink long-sleeved gown I had on paired well with my skin tone. My hair was in a bun with strings of hair adorning my face. I sighed, looking over at the Viscountess who was with her two daughters, Hyacinth and Eloise.

"I wonder what Daphne is doing at this very moment," Hyacinth said. Her mother hummed. "I am sure she has many new duties to attend to as duchess, things you should be learning yourself for your debut." She said, looking over at Eloise who gave her a sour look.

"Making simpering conversation, pretending not to wince every time a man treads my toes during a waltz?" She said slyly. Hyacinth darts off with Gregory. Her mother sighs. "I am no good at those things, Mama. I'll surely only make a fool of myself." Eloise said, fixing her white glove.

"Well, perhaps if you devoted as much time to your deportment lessons as you did to writing in your journal you might feel rather better. Oh, and on that subject, in preparation for your season, I think it is time we lowered your skirts to wear at home." Mrs. Bridgerton said, I listened in closely. "I have no time for a visit to the modiste. I am busy. The queen herself has charged me with discovering Whistledown's identity. You would not have me cross Her Majesty, now would you?" She said before the clanging of glass pulled my attention to Colin, who stood next to Miss Marina Thompson.

"May I have everyone's attention?" He said, which made the Ton quiet down. I looked at him with confusion. "I would like to make a small but rather important announcement. I have happy news to impart."

"I have asked Miss Marina Thompson to be my wife, and she has accepted." My eyes widened slowly and the Ton all clapped with glee. My mouth went agape, I couldn't believe it, Colin Bridgerton was engaged! I clapped slowly.

"Unbelievable." I heard Benedict say with a lopsided grin. Suddenly my stomach dropped to the floor as my clapping stopped. I had only just realized that another Bridgerton was to be married... and I am not. Surely, I will feel my father's true wrath later.

It was the next day and the Bridgerton family excluding my father, fortunately, were having breakfast in the dining hall. I wore a white long-sleeved dress with a patterned corset over it. My hair was half up and half down. I bit into a croissant with chocolate drizzled on the top.

All of the Bridgerton's were here apart from Colin and Anthony which led me to assume a tension was rising between them both.

The Bridgerton's that were sat at the table were bickering about Hyacinth's ribbon, which had apparently been taken. I sighed comfortably. "Good morning." I suddenly heard Colin say which made me snap my head up. A silence flickered before I smiled warmly.