.not so happy birthday. ♡

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you." Eugene sings with a smile on his face. "Happy birthday to Esther. ...Happy birthday to... you." He blows the candle out and places the cupcake on her gravestone. "I- Uh- Wrote you something while I was in jail but you know me, always getting out." He chuckles.

"To Esther, I hope the stars are treating you nicely and hoping you're one of them whenever I look up. I know how much you missed your mom and to know that you two are eating sandwiches together and having a nice time makes me happy." He's cut off by his quiet sobs interrupting him. "You don't know how much I miss you. I miss your smile, your laugh, the smell of your cigarettes and perfume mixed, and I miss your warmth next to me each day." Eugene quickly wipes his tears.

"I still remember the time we sat on the balcony and talked about our future together, I bought that house on the water we wanted it. I also got that tattoo I told you about, yeah don't hate me." He pulls up his sleeve to reveal the 'E'. Eugene sniffles once more, "God, I do miss you. We were supposed to travel the world and do the crime... I made a promise to you that I wasn't going to stop loving you, you will always have a place in my heart, E."

He lets out a shaky sigh. "Happy 22nd birthday, Esther." Eugene places the flowers down, kisses his fingers, and then places them onto the stone, giving it a little pat after and walking away from the cemetery. Soon meeting Y/N in that small brothel a few hours later.

Eugene wakes up on the couch and just lies there for a while, he takes a glance at the calendar and sighs. 'June 3rd' He always dreads this day, Esther's birthday. As a now 24-year-old man, he realizes she's been gone for quite a while, and she's still stuck in his head. He always remembers her birthday because they share one, as she was a year younger than him.

"Y/N! I'll be back later, coffee is made and breakfast is on the stove! I love you!" He yells as he walks out of the door. He places his hands into his pocket and walks to the nearest florist shop, Eugene glances at his reflection in one of the shops' windows and sees... a woman walking next to him but whenever he turns he catches a quick glance of her across the street, "Esther?" He mumbles. As if he's seen a ghost he quickly goes into the shop, "A bouquet of roses and a bouquet of daisies."

Eugene hands him 10 dollars and grabs the bouquets from him then walks out of the shop. Glancing both ways across the street, he jogs across and keeps glancing back to see if she was still there. Eugene then makes his way to the cemetery.

He arrives and starts to walk to her grave. Eugene stops before getting there, looking at her father's grave next to hers, quickly shakes his head, and goes to sit next to hers. "Heya, E." He looks at her picture engraved into the stone. "I'm still here, life has been.. crazy." He laughs and rubs his neck. "Uh- I have another person in my life, I know you're my number one but the name is Y/N and I met them whenever I left the cemetery last year."

He sits next to her gravestone. "Oh! I brought you flowers and a piece of cake... that I ate some of walking here." Eugene places a candle on the cake. "Here we go. Happy birthday to you." He smiles. "Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Esther! Happy birthday to... you." He blows out the candle and places the candle onto the gravestone next to the other candles he's left there from her other birthdays.

Eugene talks by himself and just tells her what's been going on in his life. "E... I'm hoping you like the daises I brought you and I'll see you later. I love you." Eugene kisses his fingers, places them onto the stone, and walks out of the cemetery. He continues back to his home, hoping to see you awake, "So this is love." He hums as he puts a cigarette into his mouth, he continues to hum as he goes up the concrete stairs leading to his front door.

"Y/N! You awake?" He places his keys on the coffee table. "I've been awake, where have you been?" You turn around on the couch. "I was running an errand, sweetheart. Don't worry about it," He smiles. "But I do have something for you." He hands you the bouquet of roses. "Suprise." Eugene smiles again. "Thank you, I love them." You smile. Your smile quickly fades as you think about Lucas. "What's wrong?" He comes up to you and places his hands on your shoulders.
"Just thinking..." You sigh.

Eugene grabs your face and makes you look at him, "Obviously something is not right, what's up? Be honest with me." His eyes observe your eyes eagerly. "I can't." You sigh. "It's about Lucas, isn't it?" He lets go and goes to sit on the balcony. "Go. Go to him, I won't stop you." He inhales the smoke and blows it out.

You grab a jacket and head to his mansion. You buzz the gate and wait for a response, "Hello?" Leigh answers. "Hey, can I speak to Lucas? Tell him it's Y/N." You speak. "Alright." She gets up and comes back quickly, the gate soon starts to open. Walking up the driveway, you catch Lucas sitting on the porch, drinking alcohol. "Hey, Y/N." He stares past you. "Hi, Lucas." You sit next to him. "I-" He interrupts you,

"You shouldn't be here or be with me. Today is Esther's birthday and his birthday... What we're doing is wrong. I owe him an apology, he's my best friend and you're my best friend's girlfriend." He takes a long drink from his glass. "It's his birthday?" You sadly say. "Yeah, we usually celebrate but I don't want anything to do with him right now and he probably doesn't want anything to do with me either.

I don't want to be with you anymore. I don't feel anything towards you, you'll always be a friend to me. Say happy birthday to him for me... kid." Lucas playfully nudges your shoulder and gets up to leave.

"Happy birthday, Eugene!" You smile as you come into the house with groceries and a cake. "What is this?" He closes the sliding door. "A birthday party." You place the groceries on the counter, "I've got some stuff for a party, like games and drinks." You unpack them. "Isn't a party more than two people?" He sits down. You give him a look and he laughs. "I'm kidding." "I have a few games like monopoly or we could just play cards." You turn to him.

"We could just play cards." Eugene sits down on the floor, you turn on some music and you guys continue to play. "Every time you're bust, you have to take a shot." You pour shots while he shuffles cards, he watches you and cocks his eyebrow, "You sure?"

Eugene throws his head back as he drinks the shot. "I didn't know you knew how to play." Eugene laughs. "Sometimes we used to play all the time at the brothel and this-" "Go on... Take that shot." Eugene places the card onto the table and gives you a smirk. As the night went on, you guys kept playing and getting drunker by the moment. You get up and put a record on the record player, "Eugene! c'mon, ~ Get up and dance!~"

You pull his arm but he looks at you, eyes hung low. "I don't think so." He sighs. "Fine." You jump on the couch and dance to the upbeat music. "Stop jumping on the couch... I'll dance with you." He gets up and grabs your hand. He spins you around and dances with you all around the living room. Eugene opens a window and sits out on the ledge, his feet placed on the concrete below him. You wobble next to him, he grabs your waist before you fall out the window, "You're not a good drunk, you're like a baby giraffe." He pulls you to his lap.

"Have you ever- Have you ever thought about running away?" You stare up at him, he blows the smoke in the other direction, "Yeah, all the damn time." Eugene smiles and listens to the night sounds. You look at him and get close to him, then place your lips on his neck and continue to kiss it. "Now what are you doing?" He laughs. "Kissing you~" Eugene looks down at you and lets you continue. "Is this my birthday present?" He smiles as he smells the alcohol on your breath.

I think it was the alcohol on her breath and how intoxicating it was to him, it made him drunker and more obsessed with her. Lust, desire, hunger, he just wanted. Eugene just wanted or maybe he needed. It's like your wants and needs, his wants and needs are the same things... Her.