Freshman 005

"So, did you say something about Cast Jamming?" Leo asked.

"Don't you need a special stone for that? Anti...something." Erika asked.

"Antinite, Erika-chan. I think it's really expensive, though." Mizuki said.

"No, we don't have one. Antinite is a military resource. Regardless of price, it's not something a civilian can acquire." Tatsuya explained.

"But..." Mizuki said.

"Ah...I'd like to keep this off-the-record." Tatsuya said and the others leaned in. "To be precise, I used Specific Magic Jamming which is based on Cast Jamming theory." He said.

"There's magic like that, too?" Mizuki asked.

"I don't think there is. Do you mean you theoretically created new magic?" Erika asked.

"More like accidentally came across it. Isn't that right Haruto?" Tatsuya said, glancing at him.

"I resent you for exposing me." Haruto sighed and looked up to see the expectant gazes of his friends and he sighed again. "Now I have to explain, you know that if you try using two CADs at the same time, Psion waves will be emitted and the magic doesn't activate in most cases, right?" He asked.

"Yeah, I've got experience with that." Leo said.

"You think you're great?" Erika mocked.

"What'd you say?" He glared.

"There's no way you'd do something that high tech!" Erika smirked.

"There, there!" Mizuki calmed.

"So, we used a CAD to deploy a magic activation sequence that interferes...and an activation sequence with the opposite effect using the other. Duplicated and amplifying the activation sequence, and release the Psion waves as Non-Systematic Magic. And like that, the same kind of magic activation can be obstructed to a certain extent." Haruto explained.

"For real?" Leo asked in shock and they all leaned back. "I think I more or less got the idea. But why do you want this off-the-record? It seems like it'd be very profitable if you patented it. " He said

"First of all, this technique is still incomplete. Secondly, being able to obstruct magic without Antinite is a problem." Tatsuya said.

"How is that a problem?" Leo asked.

"You idiot. The reason is huge. If an easy technique to counter magic were to spread, then it could shake the foundation of society!" Erika exclaimed.

"Antinite is rare, so it isn't a realistic threat. We won't make this public before a countermeasure is found." Tatsuya said.

"That's amazing. You've even thought that far." Mizuki said.

"I think Brother's thinking a bit too much. Not just anyone can read the activation sequence his opponent is deploying, after all. Still, I think that's what Brother is like." Miyuki said.

"Are you saying that I'm an indecisive coward?" He asked.

"Who knows? Kaguya, what do you think?" Miyuki asked.

"Who knows, but all I can say is that it's not your brother alone who needs to work on their backbone." Kaguya smiled.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Haruto asked.

"Nothing...what about you Mizuki?" Kaguya said.

"I...um...uh..." Mizuki fumbled as she was caught off guard.

☆☆☆☆☆☆

The next day the girls had their P.E lessons and were in the changing rooms getting ready for their next lesson. Shizuku sighed as she held her small chest.