Chapter 2

Wrapping up the case was somewhat easier than what you now had to face. Hotch remained professional. When he called you to his office as the rest of them began to call it a night. Morgan and even Rossi sent you a smile. You knew they assumed it was a talk on a job well done, but you weren't so naive. He straightened in his chair, and you closed the door. You could feel your heart racing.

"You wanted to see me sir?"

"Have a seat."

"I think it's better for me to stand."

"Alright." 

He's just watching you, as if he's trying to figure out all your secrets.

"You're not crazy Hotchner." He blinks.

All you can offer is a weak smile.

"I...I know you've been going over in your head what happened countless times. I know that because I can hear it. The same way I heard Jeff. His thoughts were screaming at me, the same way yours are trying to get out now. "

Hotch's lips form a straight line.

"You expect me to believe that you're some sort of mind reader. "

"I don't expect you to believe anything."

Your eyes drift to the blinds, and they shut on their own. You can see now that he's a little more on edge.

"For the last ten years I thought I was maybe a little crazy. But it turns out there is a lot more to it than that." Hotch folds his hands.

"Enlighten me. How is this all possible, and why did you apply for Quantico? Why did you want to be a part of this team? "

"I did it because I want to help people, the same way you all did for my best friend. I needed to be on this team because you guys are the best. "

Hotch is waiting for you to elaborate.

"Two years ago your team rescued a woman. Everyone had written her off. They said she committed suicide, but I knew her. She struggled after her parents died, but she would never do that. If it wasn't for the BAU, I would have lost her. I've been working to get into the academy ever since then. Strauss may have assigned me here as a power move, she thinks I'll be complacent, but I have no intention of aiding her. I'm only here to help. That's it. I intend to do that for as long as you'll let me."

He's silent for a second, then he begins packing up his stuff.

"I've heard all I needed. Welcome to the team. "

For a second you think you're imagining it.

"Wait..you're serious?"

"Yes." 

He steps from around the desk, adjusting the strap on his bag.

It takes a while but the smile grows on your face.

"T-Thank you!!" 

You run in, giving him a hug. Hotchner grunts at the sudden action, and when you realize what you've done, you pull back.

"I-I'm sorry sir I just- T-Thank you so much!!"

For the first time since you met, he smiles.

"No, thank you." 

You're beaming, and Hotchner makes his way to the door. He stops, looking at you expectantly.

"O-Oh right!" 

You follow him out, and he chuckles under his breath.

Turns out Rossi was right, you were pretty harmless.