Chapter 16

"You've been given a temporary leave. Strauss has asked that you attend a mandatory session for the next three months. You'll need to be evaluated, but as soon as you are, you'll be cleared to return."

You expect precautions. It's almost humorous that they think a few months of therapy was going to help. After they found you, you had no choice but to give your statement. Your father was now flagged as a felon. Internal affairs was going to be carrying out an investigation on your past. Apparently they needed to ensure you weren't aiding a fugitive. It's funny how Strauss had initially put you here to be her little spy to climb ranks, now she's not sure what to do with you.

"I understand sir." You stand, and Hotch follows your lead.

"It wasn't your fault. You couldn't have known."

Hotch just wants to make you feel better, but those words aren't the ones you want to hear. You turn without a word, heading out of his office. The multiple pairs of eyes follow you out, and Hotch moves to the door, watching you go. If he'd just been more vigilant, maybe this whole situation could have been avoided.

~

The better part of your day is spent at home. You'd pretty much reorganized your little library three times. You need a distraction, and this feels like a good pass time. The knock at your door makes you stand. You open it, not at all surprised at the man standing on the other side.

"Hi Hotch."

He steps inside.

"How are you holding up?"

That was a hard question to answer. The only thing you could truly guarantee now is your ability to sense your father when he was close. At least there was that.

"Hotch, I'm not going to lie to you, I'm not doing that great."

He respects your honesty. It would have been so easy to say you were fine, even though he can see that isn't the case.

"If you want me to give you space then I'll-"

"No!" He's alarmed at how frantic you sound.

"I-I don't want space. P-Please don't.." He hugs you before you can get too much in your head.

"I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere." 

He supposed he was used to the other members of the team wanting to work through their problems on their own. A part of him has gotten used to letting them sort through it until they ask for his help.

"I'll be here for as long as you need me. "

You couldn't ask for anything else.