Chapter 19

Getting back into the groove isn't as hard as you told yourself it would be. It's one of the better days. The unsub was caught, and you're all about to call it a night. Rossi offers drinks, and of course most of the team follows. You decline politely, and it isn't long before they clear the building. You just sit at your desk aimlessly staring at Hotch's door.

"I love you."

You grip the pen in your hands. After he'd said those words, neither of you had addressed it. A part of you thinks he was just caught up in the moment. But this is Hotch. He's not the type to tackle situations half heartedly.

"Would you like me to take you home?" You blink, almost falling out of your seat. You gather yourself, stumbling out the chair.

"W-What the-when did you get here!"

Hotch is standing right in front of you with his briefcase and a small grin on his face.

"You seemed very invested in your thoughts. I called you twice."

"S-Sorry."

You're grateful everyone else is gone. You're way too easy to read.

"I'd like it if you could drop me home sir."

He nods, and you gather your coat and bag. The two of you exit the building. You don't truly say much, even when you're in the car. Hotch's hand lays on your lap, and he gives it a little squeeze. You smile.

"I'm fine, I promise. Just thinking."

"About what?"

"All of this. My powers, my dad. You and I..."

That part is a whisper.

Hotch becomes quiet. It's possible that he's thinking about the same. The rest of the trip is silent. Hotch pulls up to your apartment. You offer to give him a drink, and he accepts as you both enter your apartment. The weight of work seems to just sink from your body. You head to the kitchen to get his drink. When you reenter, you search for Hotch.

"Hotch?"

Maybe he went to the bathroom.

You round the corner, and Hotch is pinned to the wall.

There's nothing holding him there, all you see is the familiar dark hair. Hotch grunts, and you drop the glass of wine in fear. It breaks on impact, and Manchester grins.

"Hello sweetheart."

Your lips quiver.

"(Y/N)..Run!!" Hotch forces out.

Manchester turns back to him with his lips twisted in anger, and Hotch chokes as pressure is added to his neck.

"Be quiet."

You scream rushing at your father, but your body meets the same faith on the opposite side of the wall. The impact is harsh, and you open your eyes, already crying.

"You insist on making me out to be the monster, so that's what I'll be. I finally realize why you're so weak. This man, not only is he unable to protect you, but he's holding you back." You shake your head.

"N-No please dad don't..." You're pleading.

"When I lost your mother, I too thought that my world had ended. I was weak. I couldn't protect her. After she was gone, I was strong. Strong enough to save you, to help others so they would never have to go through what we did."

Hotch looks as though he can breathe again, but he's still braced on the wall. You're still trying to make sense of what your father is saying.

"Sometimes it takes a tragedy to accomplish true power."

When his stare turns on Hotch, it all becomes clear. Your heart drops as he approaches.

"No...no....NO STOP DAD STOP PLEASE DON'T! DON'T HURT HIM PLEASE!"

"You'll thank me someday (Y/N)."

"I love you, (Y/N).

Hotch closes his eyes and you scream.

"HOTCH!!!!"

You jump upright, and all eyes turn in your direction. You're kneeling over, hands on the table as you cry. Hotch is at your side immediately, and it takes a moment to realize that you're on the jet. You're hyperventilating. Hotch does his best to console you, and the others scramble to get closer. JJ grabs a bottle of water, Prentiss picks up a cloth. You're still crying. When you look up, your eyes spark a bright blue. Prentiss and JJ jest back. Morgan stares.

"What the hell is wrong with her eyes!!"

Reid and Rossi are also at a distance now. Hotch is the only one who hasn't parted from you.

"(Y/N) listen to me you need to calm down."

They're confused on why Hotch isn't as terrified as the rest of them. When the lights begin to flicker on the jet, that's when this becomes real.

"(Y/N) snap out of it!!"

You blink a few times, and Hotch's voice draws you back in. The anger seems to even out, and you look at him shakily.

"H-Hotch?"

"That's right, it's me. You're safe. "

The lights flicker back on, and you wrap your hands around his neck, sobbing.