Chapter 22

Rossi's invite for a family dinner is something you should have seen coming. You were still dealing with your father's visit, which had led to your late arrival. Entering the door, your apologies are immediate.

"I'm so sorry that I'm late." You stumble through the door, meeting the eyes of the team. They are gathered in Rossi's living room with glasses in their hands.

Morgan smirks.

"You know I should have figured it out sooner. You're way too clumsy. "

"I assure you my flustered tendencies have very little to do with my abilities. "Garcia watches you in interest.

"I still don't believe it. Are you telling me you're a mind reader? Do you hear me all the time! That's a stupid question of course you do. " You smile. Maybe you really didn't have to worry about Garcia.

"I promise I haven't been intentionally peeping in on your thoughts. They're just really loud sometimes. "

"Loud in the good way, or the annoying sibling way."

"The good way, I promise. "

She's beaming.

"Well I'll take it."

Garcia looks ready for a crazy night. You all settle in, exchanging stories, talking about recent interest and home struggles with the kids. You do your best to stay in tune with the conversation, but Hotch can see that you're still shaken. At the dinner table, you excuse yourself for a brief moment. You head outside, just to get a little bit of air in hopes that it'll calm you.

"Are you alright?"

You should expect by now that Hotch can read each and every expression you make. He reaches for you, pulling you into his side. Accepting it happily.

"You're still thinking about what he said."

How can you not.

Finding out about his abilities were actually always a part of his life is mind blowing. Not just that, but suddenly, all his hatred and rage, it makes sense. Being capable of all he was still losing the one person you care about, it's heartbreaking. You'd seen so many cases where guilt played a part in why unsubs were killing. He wasn't doing it because he enjoyed it. He's literally trying to make up for the one person he wasn't able to save.

"I think I..finally understand why he's this way. I used to think that I had completely figured him out. Hotch I studied human behavior so that one day I could help my father. I saw him as nothing more than an unsub we needed to stop. He was my responsibility. But for the first time I..I don't think I have the heart to go after him. "

"I can't pretend to know what you're going through (Y/N). But if anyone can help him, I know it's you."

Looking up at Hotch, you feel more at ease. You brush a bit of his dark hair back, hand moving to his cheek.

"Thank you."

His eyes say it all, and he turns to you, leaning down.

"WHEN DID YOU TWO BECOME A THING!!"

Garcia's holler makes you jolt, and a vase nearby breaks. You wince, and Hotch shakes his head.

"Rossi's gonna kill me."