Chapter 10

The heavy knock on your door makes you yawn. You open the door, clearly not expecting this.

"H-Hotch?"

"Can I come in?"

"O-Of course!"

You open the door a bit wider and he steps inside. He's still in his suit, so it's clear that he had just got down with paperwork. He's always the last one to leave the office.

"Is everything okay? How is Jack? Did we get another case? Gimme ten minutes I'll get dressed." Before you can run off, he takes your hand.

"Everything is fine."

That was a relief. You can feel your body relax. That really did beg the question on why he was here.

"So why are you here?"

You watch him curiously, and the resolve he had gathered seems to be slowly dwindling. You looked so innocent and ready to hear out any request.

"I.." He clears his throat. He couldn't remember the last time he'd been tongue tied.

"I..."

He couldn't get the words out, and you tilt your head, lost.

Maybe if he couldn't physically say it, there was another way to get his feelings across. Now he just looks at you, and you're more puzzled than when he walked through the door. He wasn't speaking.

"Sir I don't understand what are you trying to- "

"You're beautiful."

You stare at his lips. You know for a fact that they didn't move, that's when you look at his eyes.

"You're a remarkable agent, and an even better friend. "

Pulling out of his hold, you stumble backwards.

"H-Hotch I–"

"Sometimes it's hard for me to concentrate when you're around. I'm worried that my thoughts will slip through, it's difficult not to tell you how much I've come to care about you.

Your heart is hammering with every thought that hits you. You'd always prided yourself on your control. You'd put up a mental block so you'd never be tempted to go poking around in Hotch's mind. But each sentence that hits you, it's hard not to hear.

"I admire how humble you are. With such a gift you could have done any number of jobs. But you choose to come here. Despite the pain you've been through, the hurt you suffered. You still put your all into every case that we take. "

He steps closer to you, and now you really don't have anywhere else to go. You're backed against the door.

"I have to physically restrain myself from giving into the urge I have to kiss you."

Your lips quiver with want. This couldn't be real. It must be an illusion.

Now he's right in front of you.

"Can I kiss you?"

Those are the words he speaks for himself.

You're the one who's unable to speak now. His hand rests on your cheek, and you let out a staggered breath.

"Can I kiss you?"

It's whispered this time. He's so close.

You're the one who leans in, and you sigh in satisfaction. If this was in fact a dream, you were going to take full advantage of it. You grip at the lapels of his jacket, and Hotch responds with just as much eagerness.