Chapter 26- Continued

~Six Months Later~

"Don't ever do it again "

"Yes sir, I apologize. It was out of place."

You'd taken it upon yourself to talk down a killer, unarmed. You figured Hotch would be pissed, but in the moment, it felt like the right call. You needed to save that life.

Hotch studies your expression. There's something deep there. This was the first case you'd worked with him officially. After Strauss appointed you to the team, he did his best to keep you out of the field until he could fully read your intentions. Everything you seemed to do was sincere. Even the way you interact with the team was strangely familiar and he couldn't understand why.

"That's all. "

You nod, about to take your leave. This was also the first time he had to lecture you. Normally in cases you were really put together. But this particular one seems to have rattled you more than he expected.

You stop at the door.

"If I may, sir, I apologize for acting impulsively. It was disrespectful, but I don't regret what I did."

Hotch is a little impressed. Since you joined, you'd been quite timid. The times you were most confident are when you're helping with a profile, or in this case, talking down a killer.

" I was reckless. I let the case get personal, in the field I know that's the worst thing you can do. Even so, he deserves another chance. Better than anyone I understand that." You don't clarify what you mean.

"I'll be going, have a good evening sir." You step out, closing the door, leaving Hotch to his thoughts. A few minutes in silence, and he hears a knock on the door. Rossi steps in.

"Done setting her straight." Rossi states.

"She was reckless. " Hotch defends. They both know that maybe this had more to do with his conflicted thoughts than anything else.

"Well, she did take a risk. But it's one any of us would have done. You know that."

He did. There was always a part of this job that got personal. What he couldn't figure out was you, and it was driving him crazy.

"I've never seen you like this." Rossi comments.

"Like what?"

"Rattled. I know you don't trust her. This is Strauss after all. But if I didn't know any better, I'd say you were enamored with her."

Hotch is silent.

He's spent the better part of six months trying to figure you out. You showed up right around the time he was dealing with the case of George Foyet. After Hayley was saved, he spent some much needed time before he returned back to work. Except when he came back there was a new rookie assigned to the team. He could tell it was more of a way for his superiors to keep an eye on him. At least that's what he thought.

Now he isn't so sure.

"Doesn't her presence make you question a few things?" Hotch was the one asking questions now.

"Her being here feels..." Rossi was searching for the right words.

"Natural." He concluded.

That's what unnerved him. If your plan was to get cozy and then flip on them, then he'd be damned if he let that happen.