Chapter 32

"Combat training?"

"Strauss has made it mandatory. You're a consultant, but there will be times when you'd be needed in the field. "

You mean to tell him that you're fully equipped to defend yourself. Conversations with your dad are not the only development you had. He'd advise you that with your growing powers, your body needs to be just as strong. So you'd be taking self defense in your free time.

"I understand. When will my sessions be scheduled?"

"They start tomorrow. I've assigned Morgan to be your supervisor. Although I was able to use someone from our unit, you'll be given an assessment at the end of the month. If you don't pass the director has advised that you be withheld from group travels until you complete it. "

"She's really bringing out all the stops huh. " Hotch nods. You had a feeling when he called you this morning it wasn't just for friendly banter.

"I know the timing of this isn't ideal. It's difficult to work around the paperwork with this. "

"It's fine Hotch. I'm not that surprised. Strauss isn't the only one who has a few tricks. I'll be seeing Morgan early tomorrow."

"Yes, 8am sharp." That gave you about two hours before a briefing with the team.

"Thank you for looking out for me sir." He's always been someone to look after the team.

" By the way, how is Jack? Does he love the badge I made him?"

"He does. It's been on his desk for the past three weeks. Truthfully it's the first toy that hasn't been disassembled or vanished from sight."

"I guess I should feel honored." You laugh.

"Incredibly."

Maybe it's because you'd been there that you now feel protective of both Hailey and Jack.

"Sir, if you don't mind me offering, I'd be happy to babysit Jack whenever you need." Unlike the rest of the team, some of your hours were more lenient. So you had more off days then the rest of them. You were still very much a consultant. Hotch's smile feels a bit contagious. He reaches out, placing his hand over yours.

"I appreciate the offer. I'll keep that in mind." You can't stop the blush, or the brief skip of your heart.

"O-Of course it's no trouble at all!" He's still smiling as he pulls away. You sort of stumble to your feet.

"W-Well t-thank you again for the heads up." You go shuffling out the room, and Hotch looks at the space you had previously occupied, then down at his hand.

He's a bit curious to see how this plays out.

~Tuesday Morning, 8am~

Morgan was dressed in some comfortable clothing to begin. You were surprised that he was waiting for you when you entered the room.

"Ready to kick some butt." He asks. You nod.

"Sir yes sir!" He laughs, laying out the instructions.

"So I'll run through the basics. But first we need to go over strategies. In the field you'll be faced with a lot of tough choices. You need to be able to handle all of them. "

Stretching your limbs, you nod.

"Is that why you're recording?" You nudge your head to the cell phone.

"Strictly learning purposes. " You chuckle.

"Of course it is."

"Alright so first we-" you charge at him, and Morgan jumps back at the blow you swing. While he's gathering his footing, you drop low, swiping his legs from under him. He falls back harshly on the mat with a grunt. You smile from above.

"What's next?" Morgan just groans.

~Five Hours Later~

"Play it back, play it back!"

Garcia giggles. You run back the video, and they all wince when Morgan's body hits the floor.

"Hah, very funny. She just caught me off guard. "

"Yeah, three times." Prentiss teased. His need to acquire footage backfired. You forwarded the entire session to your phone to show the rest of the team.

"I don't think they have to worry about you passing the assessment. I'm more concerned for the person who'll be doing the exam." Morgan waves it off.

"Count me out." It's possible his back was aching a little from all the falls he took. Not that he'd admit that.

"Where did you learn to fight like that?" JJ questions.

"I've been training myself. I sort of came to the same conclusion as the department did. I do a lot of field work. Thought it was about time I learned to tango."

"You're really good at this tango. '' Garcia compliments.

"Actually, could you teach me how to do that lock?" Prentiss points out. She's talking about the hold you have Morgan in on the screen.

"Sure, the key is all in the shoulders. " Hotch has a folder in his hand, and he moves past you all.

"We have a case." Everyone moves out, and Hotch sends you a glance.

"Good job."

He mouths. You blush, nodding.