The Egyptian Excavation | Steven Grant/Marc Spector

A/N: A simple and cute story for y'all. Enjoy. (Still have to get used to this character so this is a small experiment.)

Summary: While Marc is trying to fix a problem Steven caused, he meets a long time friend and crush of Steven along the way who doesn't know about his DID yet.

Pairing: Steven Grant/Marc Spector x Archeologist!Reader
Warning: Angst & Fluff

~~~

Sitting on a few rocks while you ate your lunch that you had made for yourself, you watched your fellow archaeologists dust off the hidden city you all found. It took your group a few years to locate it, but after all the effort, here you were. With all the excitement in your head, you couldn't really swallow your food but you forced yourself to do so because you needed the energy and this was the only break you would get today. You also couldn't really distract yourself from the nerves and excitement either because there were no services so no using your phone.

Instead, you decided to enjoy the view of the desert behind you as you turned around. You could still remember that your family asked you if you were already sick of all the sand and warmth the last time you returned, but honestly you could never be bored by it. Not even after 80 years of doing your job, you were certain of it. The desert had its own beauty and you loved the nostalgia it gave you every time you returned to it. It was like it kept calling you to come back too.

Your hands unwrapped some more of your sandwich and you suddenly squint your eyes to look in the distance. You had no idea if what you saw was real, but it looked like a very big animal was walking around on one of the furthest hills.

You had never seen a big animal in the desert though so this was very unlikely.

Were you hallucinating? You shook your head and put your cap on your head again. It was probably nothing and you were just exhausted by the warmth.

Returning your focus to your lunch, you looked up once more out of curiosity and suddenly heard a loud groan and a yell that made you scan the area a little better, spotting what you thought was an animal falling down one of the hills close by. However, it was actually a human.... a very familiar sounding human too.

You abandoned your food in an instance and ran down the hill you sat on to look for the man, seeing a head pop up from the sand after a few seconds. "Oh my god, Steven?!" You yelled and ran to him, dropping to your knees to help him.

"Don't worry, I'm okay." He dusted off his clothes while he got up, his accent not present at all. "And it's Marc." He corrected you.

"Marc?" You backed off a little, clearly confused. "Huh....?"

"Yes." He gave you a single nod and turned his back to you, clearly in a rush. "And I have to go."

"But...." You were so happy you thought you had found Steven here with you in Egypt that you didn't really pay any attention. He could've been some doppelgänger or perhaps you were just imagining him in someone else. That was possible too. "Never mind, I thought you were someone else." You whispered, rubbing your eyes to perhaps make yourself see properly again.

"Don't hurt them like that please.... they don't know about our problem." Steven begged to Marc, hoping he would somehow listen and hand over the control, but he didn't so Steven continued. "They're my best friend, I haven't seen them in so long. Please turn around."

"No! You have to stop thinking that you can take over control because I won't let that happen!" Marc shouted so loud he accidentally startled you and made you trip over your own feet as you tried to walk away from the man.