Chapter 7: "This Is My Bargain"

Y/N's POV

So for the last hour I've been helping Tony and Bruce work on finding the tesseract.

As I'm at the table I see Tony trying to get the hulk to come out.

???: Hey!

Tony: Nothing?

Then I turn and see Steve walk into the room.

Steve: Are you nuts?

Tony: Jury's out. You really have a lid on it, haven't you? What's your secret? Mellow jazz, bongo drums, huge bag of weed?

Steve: Is everything a joke to you?

Tony: Funny things are.

Steve: Threatening the safety of everyone on this ship isn't funny.

Steve looks at Bruce.

Steve: No offense, Doc.

Bruce: It's all right, I wouldn't have come aboard if I couldn't handle pointy things.

Then Tony walks around the table.

Tony: Your tip-toeing, you need to strut.

Steve: And you need to focus on the problem, Mr. Stark.

Tony: Do you think I'm not? Why did Fury call us in? Why now? Why not before? What isn't he telling us? I can't do the equation unless I have all the variables.

Steve: You think Fury's hiding something?

Tony: He's the spy. Captain, he's "the" spy. His secrets have secrets. It's bugging them too. Isn't it?

Then Tony turns his attention to Bruce and I and he stuffs his mouth with a blueberry.

Bruce: Uh...I just want to finish my work here, and...

Steve: Doctor? L/N?

Bruce: "A warm light for all mankind." Loki's jab at Fury about the cube.

Steve: I heard it.

I speak up.

Y/N: I think it was meant for you.

I point at Tony, and Bruce nods in agreement with me.

Bruce: Even if Barton didn't tell Loki about the tower, it was still all over the news.

Steve: The Stark Tower? That big, ugly....

Steve pauses when he gets a look from Tony.

Steve: Building in New York?

Bruce: It's powered by an arc reactor, a self sustaining energy source. That building will run itself for, what, like a year?

Bruce looks at Tony.

Tony: It's just the prototype. I'm kind of the only name in clean energy right now. That's what he's getting at.

Then I bring up a point.

Y/N: So, why didn't S.H.I.E.L.D. bring him in on the tesseract project? What are they doing in the energy business in the first place?

Tony: I should probably look into that once my decryption program finishes breaking into all of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s secure files.

Tony walks around Bruce and I until he reaches the big monitor hanging from the ceiling.

Steve: I'm sorry. Did you say...

Tony: Jarvis has been running it since I hit the bridge. In a few hours, I'll know every dirty secret S.H.I.E.L.D. has ever tried to hide. Blue berry?