Secrets we keep

I pushed open the door to the dojo, the flimsy little bell ringing.

"Sup T," I shouted.

"Hey, Bias chilling in the back," she informed me, I had already started walking there.

"Mercy?" I gruff voice asked from behind me.

"You wanted to talk?" Kody asked, as I turned around to face him.

His eyebrows were scrunched together and his eyes were fiercely green right now.

"Who are you," I whispered.

His eyes scanned mine rapidly, searching for answers, but I kept my eyes blank, not giving anything away just yet.

"Why are you in town? And Marcus said your famous, what's that all about? How come I've heard about you before? Who the hell is Knox? And why didn't you trust me enough to tell me any of that," I rapidly said, my voice strained by the end.

He looked at me with a pained expression.

"I want to explain it all to you, but I can't. You can't know, and you can't understand," he said, shaking his head before he stalked off towards the door.

I watched in pure confusion, and he pushed open the door and stormed off towards the parking lot.

I've never seen sunshine and rainbow Kody in such a bad mood.

Later that night I googled Kody Julian, however, nothing popped up. Kody Julian did not exist to anyone but me.

I closed my computer shut and sighed.

The only sound was the thunder and lightning from outside.

I slid of the couch and the lights suddenly went out.

My heart began to beat heavy in my chest.

I hated the dark.

Ten years ago-

"Mom?", I asked startled.

The pounding on the locked door grew louder, and a mans voice kept screaming.

"Open this door Ana," a mans voice warned.

My mothers hands were shaking as she came towards me.

"Mercy baby, go sit in the closet, and block the door with everything in there. DONT turn the lights on, and stay quiet until I come get you," she says, lightly pushing me towards the closet doors.

"What's going on-"

"ANA," the mans angry voice yelled again.

"Now," my mother hissed.

I slid into the closet, closing the door, finding everything and anything to create a barrier around me.

The man continued until the door banged open, I clamped my hand over my mouth, to prevent any sound coming out.

"Royce please-," I heard my mother plead.

"I won't hear anymore of it Ana," the man, Royce, yelled.

Hatred burned within me, I wouldn't let somebody talk to my mother that way.

"She's only 13," she cried.

"That's when the rest of them start as well," the man said plainly.

"She's not meant for this lifestyle Royce," she pleaded.

"I didn't ask if she was or wasn't. Oscar, Ivan, find the girl," the man orders.

My mothers screams drowned out the noises of furniture being flipped over and crashing all over my room.

The closet doors start rattling and tuck into an even smaller ball.

They slam open with a bang, and my wall of boxes is trampled.

"Found her boss," one of the tall grumbly men smirked, grabbing me by the bicep, as I was ripped from my hiding spot.

"Bring her to the rest of him," the man standing orders.

Two men grabbed me, one gripping each arm, as I was wretched away from my mother.

"Mercy," My mother yelled as the man stepped closer to her.

I thrashed know the men's grips.

"Mom," I screamed out, then the darkness came over me.

The darkness.

Present-

The lights flickered back on, and my heart slowed back to a normal pace.

My phone began to buzz quickly.

Kody:

-Mercy is your power out too?

-are you ok? Is Bia ok with the storm and everything?

-Mercy?

-are you ok??

-I'm coming over.

Just as I read the last message a large pounding came from the front door.

I opened it to Kody breathing heavily with wild eyes.

His white shirt and jeans were both soaked and his floppy light brown hair stuck to his forehead.

"Why didn't you answer your phone," he panted.

"Because me and you aren't on speaking terms," I said, matter-of-factly.

"We are?" he asked with scrunched eyebrows.

"Yes," I nodded.

"Why!" He yelled over the thunder.

"Because I'm annoyed with you," I said, leaning on the doorway.

A violent shiver went through his body.

"Come inside you moron" I snorted, moving out of the way.

Eventually we ended up sitting across the couch from each other, covered in blankets, sitting in silence.

"So whose Axton?" He asked suddenly, edge in his voice.

My body tensed up.

My eyes met his, with a firely look.

"You don't have to tell me," he shrugged.

I looked away from him, and played with the hem of the blanket.

"When I was 13, I went to this....camp of sorts. And he was the first person I met there. He walked right up to me with a smile plastered on his face. We began dating when a was 15. He wasn't the person I thought he was, so I left him when I was 19," I said, still looking down.

I waited for him to say something else, the silence was bugging me.

" then who were the guys in the parking lot? And the ones who showed up here?" he asked quietly.

"I can't tell you that much," I huffed a laugh.