Woes of a reader

Word count: 1039

The sun shine brightly, illuminating the gallant blue sky as clouds parade through the atmosphere. Winds swaying the trees, making the leaves pluck itself and floats to where air flows through. Along the horizon, a training field filled with fire and lightning sparks and cold snows and water droplets scattered around by the mages sparring using their mana on one side of it, the other constantly ringing with swords clashing and colliding as the warriors and paladins expanded their fighting skills by exchanging moves with each other. The whole arena filled with cheers of them supporting their peers to achieve victories upon victories. Those triumphant cheers continued until sun decided to paint the sky scarlet and pale orange mixing harmoniously with the fluffy white mess along it.

During these times, far deep into the forest flooding with sleeping creatures, grotesque and cruel monsters starts to lurk around the parameters. The once lively and jolly greenery now painted with patches of foreboding darkness. Menacing growls, teeth gnashing and clattering  haunts the now dimly lit forest with moonlight, it was once magical looking to its passerby during the day. Fear and trauma crept into one's heart if they ever gaze too long at the dark trees engulfed in pitch black hues.

Sun greets the world again, spreading it's usual cheerful colours across the sky. Birds getting out of the nest as it chirps joyfully, greeting the nature's mythical friends; fairies and pixies. Herds of fluffy creatures plays around among its kin, squeaking and squealing merrily across the plains. Grasses swayed along with soft, tickling winds creating calming sounds and scenery. Kids running around, huge smiles on their juvenile and naive faces as they unbiasedly play with peers their age. Laughters paint the world with happiness as the contagious feeling spread to their parents who were watching from afar, a soft smile creeping onto their expressions.

Changing the view to an abandoned looking palace, a dragon could be seen guarding it as a knightly prince tried to fend it off so he can bring back the captured princess back to her home. Yet, does he even know the truths?

" Die, you disgruntling creature! Stay away from the Princess!" The male shouted, swaying his enhanced sword, spreading the water magic to extinguish the fire the dragon breathes out.

The dragon roared, protecting its human friend. They had spent their time together, mending the loneliness they felt for the past years they have lived. Their wish of having a real friend they had been seeking was fulfilled the moment they met each other. Though language barrier can't be helped, who says they need to understand their words when they comprehend every gestures they made for each other? Dragon helped the princess adapts with being independent and the latter pats while singing before they sleep together. Companions with unparalleled trust and care for one another. A relationship that could bring envy from every living being of the whole world if not continent.

The now stronger and wiser princess rushed to defend her friend from getting hurt since she had saw how badly hurt the dragon once was from fierce battles in the past. Unsheathing a sword as she paced urgently across the moldy castle, she hasten her legs towards where the current battle are. Swinging her sword, she clashed with the prince, pushing him back as she prevented her friend from hurting the male more considering he is partially innocent.

" Wha- What..?" The male stuttered, shock plastered across his face.

" Go back to where you came from. I am living happily here with my companion. I wish that my family would not send more knights to take me back. Please send these exact words to father and mother." The princess said sternly, sword shielding both the human and the dragon.

" B- But sister... W- Why didn't you ever send any letters? At least so we can know that you are safe?"

" Have you forgotten? The very ones I called 'family' tried to kill me after I stand up for myself for not wanting to be sold off to another country. Why should I gave away my location. Get lost, dear 'brother'." The princess coldly spat to the very person that hired an assassin to hunt her head from the very moment the king decreed for her to die, noting that she was of no value other than a marriage tool.

" Ha! So you finally figured it out? You take awfully long to realize that, dear 'sister'!" The prince mocked, slipping off his mask that very moment.

" I was naive since you guys cut down almost anything that might make me more insightful once I learn it in class. I almost barely learn anything because of you. Yet, who knew, my journey helped discover many things, expanding my values of the world here." The princess smirked.

" Really? Though, I do have to say, your value rise up a bit with that dragon companion of yours." The prince let off a sly aura as he snickers, making the smile on the princess's face to drop, emitting a chilling aura across her being.

" You'll never be able to use us to your will, brother. You can't even defeat us. Why do you think you're still alive?" She coldly remarked as she let out a bit of her rare elemental power, the element of darkness. Her prowess was gallantly showcased as she manage to intimidate her sad excuse of a family.

The prince ran, tails tucked between his legs-

" Hey, Regina! Reading again?"

A girl with long, flowy hair cascaded on her shoulders looked up, putting the bookmark at the page she had stopped at. Her body full of bandages though no bones were broken. Her glittering her dark brown irises was slightly covered by her spectacles.

" . . . Yeah."

" Honestly, you should spend more time with me. I'm your friend!"

" It's troublesome."

" Ugh..! Why do you even read anyways?!"

Regina let out a low chuckle.

" Why do I read? What a stupid question. I read because this world is not enough for me." Regina said, dark shadow casted on her face as she mockingly look at her friend, not really directing it at her, but causing her to flinch nonetheless.

°~Thanks for reading~°