9

"Excuse me, miss

"Excuse me, miss." My sight trail from his hand to his face. "I was told my wallet is with you." Jace's voice is as smooth as butter and deep. His eyes are so delicate and precise. The setting sun radiating behind him illuminates the shape of his machine of a body. "Thank you for holding it for me."

I love how long his hair is...he belongs in a CoverGirl commercial. I want to play in it! Okay, get a grip and speak before he assumes I'm a mute! "You're welcome," I reply in a murmur. My lung power appears to be weak; I swallow to dry my wet mouth. His penetrating gaze falls onto my throat as I gulp. "It...fell under the table." I drop my eyes.

"Did it? I thought I lost it on the grounds, and a guest pocketed it. That's a relief."

I give a short laugh and gaze back up at him. Jace's eyes hold a twinkle that has nothing to do with the dim lighting. "Yeah, I bet you're glad there are still good people in the world." I pull out the drawer and pluck the wallet from it.

"Is there?"

"Yes."

"So, you're telling me everything is how I left it?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying." I pass it to him. "You can check if you like."

Jace's suit jacket slides back; the cuffs of his dress shirt reveal that his arms are just as veiny as his hand. He unfolds his wallet and examines it. I watch his lush lips part, and his Adam's Apple stretch. "Interesting..." Our eyes collide. "Why didn't you steal it? I would have."

"Maybe because I'm not desperate...or dumb." I retort.

He smiles at my earnestness. "I'm surprised to meet a smart blonde."

"We come in different varieties." I play along. "I don't associate myself with the lesser half."

Jace chuckles. "I see why you work here; you have a good sense of humor."

"And fast hands." I boast.

"How fast?"

"What's your drink?"

"Commonwealth." He says in a dare.

"Which style?"

"European." He watches my hands collect liquids. Basil, red apple, maquie berry, blueberries, potato, lavender, star anise, rosemary, wild strawberry, and cotoneaster. Each bottle has a nozzle on its end.

"Coming up." I pour the liquids over ice and measure one and a half inch without difficulty. Like a chemist, my hands handle the bottles in a flawless motion. I know I'll surprise him with my blazing speed. I practically juggle the bottles two at a time. I stir with a red straw to churn the flavors before handing it over.

He takes a sip, swishing the liquid around his mouth before swallowing. "Hmm..."

"I don't speak that language. I need an English translation for feedback." I poke.

Jace titters amusingly. "That's impressive...not too overbearing or underwhelming."

"Perfectly balanced?"

"Maybe even beyond that." He sips more and exclaims a satisfying "ahh."

"I told you I'm fast. Now you can add accurate to the list." I raise my brow. "I have a reputation here."

"I'm sure you do...you must be a heartbreaker."

"Only a little." I grin.

Jace stuffs his wallet into the front pocket of his trousers. "Or a lot. It's fun being in that club, right?" He downs the drink in one big gulp, then sits the glass on the counter. "Thank you again, darling...have a wonderful night."

"You too."

Jace nods me farewell and goes the way he came in. The way his ass muscles contort within his trousers is hypnotically sexy. What just happened?? I said no communication! I was supposed to give back what I got in return for the past year. Instead, I gave. Stupid! I wasn't supposed to! Why did I flirt?? Why did I fail?! Lily snaps her fingers in front of my face. "Hey, did you hear me?"

"Oh...what, what did you say?"

"How'd it go?"

I open my mouth, about to respond, before I remember whose fault this is. "No, I'm not talking to you."

"Tell me."

"No."

"You should be thanking me!" She snaps. "Who gets a chance to chat with a billionaire??"

"I'm not thanking you."

"Oh, come on! You had to get his number, or he got yours?"

"I'm not interested...neither is he. That was just me, a bartender talking to a customer, nothing more."

"Oh, don't tell me you fumbled the bag...literally!"

My eyes shoot daggers at her. "There was nothing to fumble...he's a playboy. Quit trying to make him more than that!"

"Girl...I...you." She groans in frustration. "He sleeps around; that's a given for a guy until they find a woman to marry. He's not going to put a ring on a hooker. That's a fact. You'll blow his mind once he knows how suitable you are."

"Let's agree to disagree!" I growl. "I'm done talking to you."

Lily rolls her eyes. "So, you're mad that I got a guy you've been eye fucking to notice you?"

"No, I'm mad you didn't listen and respect that I wanted nothing to do with him! You ignored that and did it your way!"

"So, I was selfish to get you two talking??"

"Yes!"

"Wow." Lil ridicules. "Wow...I'm sorry you feel that way."

"I am too."

#Romance #Love

#Romance
#Love