30

"Put it down, Maddy

"Put it down, Maddy."

"How could you?!" I yell emotionally.

He eyes the sprayer. "I'm sorry, just put it down...."

"No!!" I raise it higher. "How could you??! After." I sob and clutch the weapon. "After what I went through, how could you?!!! You fucking asshole!"

"Forgive me, please?" The considerate guy I knew overrides the one from seconds ago. "I'm just mad."

"Mad at me? I don't get why! I didn't cheat! I involved Jace so you wouldn't get yourself killed or locked up! I care more than you do. You don't love me!"

"I love you." Brad paces toward me.

"NO, STAY BACK!!!" I shout aggressively. "That wasn't love!"

"I went too far."

"You were wrong! You know I'm saving myself. You know this!" My finger rests on the releaser, my hand shakes. "You need to leave!"

"Let's talk about this."

I throw him a perplexed glare. "You tried to rape me! There's nothing to talk about. You need to leave!"

"Baby..." Brad pleads. "I don't know why I did that. I'm drunk...I've been drinking since last week. That wasn't me."

I take a big whiff of air to determine if this is true. He doesn't reek of it. If he was crazy drunk, he would stink of liquor. "I know the smell of alcohol; it's not on you. You're lying! You lied about loving me, too, didn't you? But...but you were so convincing. I believed you." I strain my voice to express my suffering.

"I do love you."

"You don't! You would have beat me for stopping if I didn't have this!" I hold the sprayer steady.

"No." He shakes his head.

"Yes."

"I would never hit you."

"You're lying!" My hectic breaths lengthen the words.

"I'm not...you can trust me."

"No, I can't!"

"You can." He says with all the confidence in the world.

"What makes you so sure?"

Brad's eyes the sprayer. "Because it's not switched on." I gawk down at it. The latch is off to the side, not in the middle where it reads "on." I peer back up at him. "I'm not nice when I'm jealous...that's all."

"You need help," I mutter shakily.

"I do...I need your help, please, Maddy. Just put it down. I won't hurt you."

"I don't know who you are!"

"I know...I'm not myself."

"Who are you?!"