18

My eyes open to the ceiling of a hospital room

My eyes open to the ceiling of a hospital room. The beeping monitor quickens. It reminds me of the sound my heart made right before I jumped out of the car. Flashes of the red-haired Uber driver and the car doors snapping locked attack my mind. I hold my head. I feel bandages wrapped around it. The same goes for my arms, legs, and neck. I can't move an inch without the fabric rustling. My hands are bruised-black and paler than usual.

There's an IV hooked into my left arm that drips fluid. I try to sit up and regret this right away. My neck clatters terribly, and the skin all over my body stretches like glue. The skid marks covering my body blister and prickle. I hiss through my teeth and lay backward with a long whine. How did I get here? I recall a blurry figure. I think it was a woman in a robe that came to the rescue. I can't believe this! This all feels so surreal.

"Oh, you're up." A female doctor says from the door. "How are you feeling?"

"Horrible."

"I'd be surprised if you said otherwise. You're lucky to be alive, Ms. Hart. You got pretty banged up." The doctor paces to stand beside me.

"My skin...will it...will I need surgery?"

"As of right now, no. Most road burns heal within 2 weeks. New blood vessels grow to create new skin cells. If, and only if, this process fails, then you'll need surgery."

"My head." I hold my temple and hiss at the shaking nails sensation across my forehead.

"I've ordered scans for a full body analysis, don't worry. Just rest."

I nod and inhale slowly. "How long ago did I get here?"

"About 6 hours ago."

"What time is it?"

"5 am."

I recall that my cell got thrown out the window. "Is there a phone I can use?"

The woman takes a wired one from a table by the door and brings it to the bed. "Your friends are in the hallway. I can allow them in if you're up for it?"

"I am...thank you."

"You're welcome." The doctor exits.

I look at the monitor, my heart rate is elevated. The beeping noise is rapid. I hold my breath for a few seconds until it decreases, then exhale. The door opens a lot faster this time and with more force.

Lily, Jessica, and Brad stampede in; their faces are grief stricken. "MADDY, OH MY GOD!" Lily tries to hug me but halts because of the bandages. "I was scared to death when you left me that text! I tracked the ride; everything seemed okay." She sniffs; her eyes are bloodshot red, and her voice is unsteady. Jess mirrors her girlfriend's sadness, and Brad is chalk white in complexion. His gaze is stuck on all the bandages on my body. "Then the news report..."

My head spins at her words. "News report??"

"Yeah, the woman that found you called the cops. I reported the asshole. Uber is getting shitted on. As they should. I can't believe that creep got hired; he had sexual assault charges. Fucking shitbag!" She rages.