34. Phantom Pain

⬆The aforementioned hero costume draft 1, you can choose whichever you prefer

Izuku Pov

After the end of our training, I was the last person standing. I had captured Togata and brought him to Mr Aizawa only to get told that I was the only person who was left to fight the other two students. Nejire Hado and Tamaki Amajiki were not as tough as Togata, but they were stronger in number. Hado got beaten on account of her lack of a plan. Her quirk was easily avoidable with speed and she kept shooting at me, not where I was going. Amajiki gave up after I started awing over his quirk. He just turned red, turned his legs into a goats', and ran out to Mr Aizawa.

I guess Mr Aizawa seemed a bit annoyed at him, Togata, on the other hand, questioned where the indigo-haired boy had eaten a goat recently. So that's how he gets his animal abilities, no wonder he uses so many sea creatures with their ease of access in Japan. I laughed at the big three's antics. The hero course was very different to the support course, obviously in the subjects being taught but the vibe was also very different. Mr Aizawa seemed much more serious than Powerloader but the students were less so. They were peculiar but I liked them.

The next day, the class were once again ready to do hero studies. Only Mr Aizawa didn't do his 'usual' routine. Instead of slumping into his sleeping bag after a quick announcement, he stayed standing. "Also, after careful consideration, the staff have decided to let you participate in the provisional licence exam in two weeks. From now till then you'll be working on super moves to get your licenses" He announced. Um... I've been a hero student for 34 hours. I slowly raised my hand to try and explain my folly only for Mr Aizawa to dismiss me "You will be participating. If you can beat Mirio then you can get a provisional Licence" He stated. 

Without another word, Aizawa slumped out of the classroom, quickly replaced by Hizashi. I didn't really pay attention in English anyway but today I found myself even more distracted. A small issue we amputees deal with is a wonderful little thing called 'Phantom Limb Pain'. Ever had that itch you couldn't scratch out? It's kinda like that except it's literally unscratchable. It wasn't long before Kacchan noticed and gave me an odd look. The blonde threw a piece of paper at me, hitting me in the head. I opened the folded paper to see a classic Kacchan statement

'Deku, wtf are you doing? You look like a f--ing schizo'

That's kind. I tried to write a response only to feel my arm begin pinging. Unlike my leg itches, this felt like actual pain. I looked pleadingly at Kacchan. He sighed and raised his hand "Yes Bakugo?" Hizashi asked. The boy just motioned to me. The teacher raised his brow at me but chose to just nod. I stood up and limped my way out of the room. Damnit. I need to tone down the pain receptors in my axon processors. Once I was outside the door, I felt my arm start to burn. It was screaming at me but I could do absolutely nothing. 

Thirty seconds later, Kirishima, Kaminari and Kacchan came out of the room to see me on the floor. Their only slightly worried faces turned to shock as they rushed to my side "Deku what the fuck is going on?!" Kacchan growled. He was being rash but he was kind in his own way. "My arm. It hurts." My robotic voice didn't get across my pain. Instantly the three rushed to my healthy side "No. The other one" I corrected. The three turned to me confusedly, only Kacchan listened and went to my left side

"Look I know I can be dim, but how are you feeling pain in that arm?" Kaminari asked. I groaned before trying to stand up "Explanation later, I need to get to Recovery Girl" I replied. I tried to walk forward only to fall onto Kacchan. He caught me and picked me up bridal style "F-Fuckin hell Deku, you weigh a ton" He grunted while dragging me to Recovery Girls office. I held my tongue in correcting him. We made it to the office with Kaminari and Kaminari trailing behind us. The door was beaten open by Kacchan while Kirishima helped me to a bed. "Oh dearie, what's the problem?" The nurse asked 

"Phantom limb. It's pretty bad" I explained while slipping my legs and arms off. I focused on the space where my arm was. The usual way to beat Phantom limb pain is painkillers but convincing your brain that your limb is, in fact, gone can help. "Oh... Let me get you something" Recovery Girl replied while walking to a cabinet in the corner. "Izuku, what exactly is going on?" Kirishima quizzed. With a scowl on his face, Kacchan pushed his phone into Kirishima's hand. "Phantom limb is the sensation that an amputated or missing limb is still attached" He read. "Oh, you're feeling injuries that aren't really there" Kaminari theorised 

I nodded at the boy between groans. "Oh, Is it physiological? or is there actual pain there?" He asked. "Boys, can you please go outside for a second? thank you thank you" Recovery Girl requested while shooing the three. They reluctantly exited the room as the nurse smiled sadistically. I clenched my eyes as another bought of pain waved over me. "Izuku, I need parental permission to give you morphine. I know that this isn't the most convenient thing... Should I call Aizawa or...?" The heroine trailed off.

I  went to shake my head no, I didn't need to worry Aizawa more but I got stopped when my legs started screaming in pain. It was like the last time I injured them, 8 years ago. Recovery Girl sighed and went to her computer. Probably to call Aizawa no doubt. I lay further down on the bed, my legs were situated in front of my eyes. I was trying mirror treatment without the mirror. It was not working, each and every second my legs were burning. 

Aizawa slowly walked into the room with tired eyes "Two days... that's all it took for you to screw up one of my naps" the hero muttered. Through the pain, I managed to let out a short laugh. "Glad you think ruining my naps is funny. Why am I even here?" The hero questioned "I simply cannot give a child high-grade painkillers without permission" Recover Girl replied. "Why not Nezu?" Aizawa asked "Because you're basically the boys' father Shota, come on" She commented "First off, no. He's not my son... I mean he isn't, you should know that. Just give him the damn drugs and don't comment on my relations with students you old lady"