𝗑𝗂𝗂𝗂. 𝗁𝗈𝗐 𝗂𝗇𝗌𝖾𝗇𝗌𝗂𝗍𝗂𝗏𝖾

CHAPTER THIRTEEN (     𝖧𝗈𝗐 𝖨𝗇𝗌𝖾𝗇𝗌𝗂𝗍𝗂𝗏𝖾     )

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
(    𝖧𝗈𝗐 𝖨𝗇𝗌𝖾𝗇𝗌𝗂𝗍𝗂𝗏𝖾     )

"Uh, reaction, observation, communication. Any questions so far?" Bailey asked the residents which pretty much all of them raised their hands and she let out an annoyed sigh. "We are doing this because Chief Shepherd suggests we brush up on our patient sensitivity skills, that's why. And it just so happens, this morning was a very good time, besides, half of you were raised by wolves." She explained to them. "Reaction. Keep your face impassive. Whether prompted by a patient's appearance or lab results, facial expressions of surprise, concern, disgust, et cetera, can be counterproductive. Uh, la la la la la... jokes. Don't make jokes about patients, not in front of them, not even in private."

"Well..." cristina started.

"Yang?" Bailey called out.

"What if the joke is really funny?" Cristina asks making both Bailey and Madelaine sigh.

"It's not." Bailey claimed. "Neither was that one. Moving on."

"Observation." Bailey announced, before her pager went off. "Okay, use reflective listening, repeat the patients feelings back to them. Um, I hear that you're concerned about the surgery. Let me explain the risks."

"I can see you like vegetables. After the surgery, you might become one." Alex jokingly said as he leaned over to Madelaine and Cristina and whispered the joke quite loudly making the residents laugh.

"Communication. Don't use jargon. Use language that the patient can understand. Be creative and use metaphors." Bailey continued to explain to them.

"Oh, I'm terrible with metaphors. I can never come up with 'em." Charles claimed.

"Why, 'cause you're dumb as a box of hammers?" Cristina sarcastically asked him.

"You see, that's a good one. You're an ass, but that was a good one." Charles responded to Cristina's sarcastic joke that was supposed to be a metaphor.

"Be clear and comprehensive. Explain all risks and all probable outcomes, leaving nothing out. Questions." Bailey then asked them all sounding like she was in a rush, but that was when she rolled her eyes when she saw Reed raise her hand. "Adamson?"

"Why are you going so fast?" Reed asked her.

"I.. it just so happens that we have an emergent patient arriving who will need a little extra sensitivity. So, remember to employ your... R-O-C, and you will rock your patients world." Bailey said, immediately regretting the last part which made the Residents laugh. "Okay, that's enough of that. Follow me to the pit. Hustle!" She demanded as everyone got serious and followed her to the outside of the pit where they stood waiting for the patient.