Chapter 9:

Kayleb's anger grew to the point of no return. Something in him began to stir, eager to break free.

"Why are you wearing that?" he asked Ian in such a low, angry tone that even he couldn't hear his older brother out of it. The older lycan angrily pointed to the letterman jacket Ian so brazenly dared to wear in front of his eyes. Almost immediately, all color drained from the younger lycan's face.

Kayleb wondered if this was the big secret Ian had kept from him, knowing how badly he would react to the news. He just got him back. Ian couldn't lose him again! Even though shame overcame him quickly, he wouldn't back down!

"I'm on the team, just like Maxie was," he told his older brother with pride in his voice while holding his burning gaze.

Kayleb's green eyes, like perfectly cut emeralds, blazed with anger and disappointment. At the mention of his dead twin, he almost lost his composure.

"And you think that's a good thing? You just stood by and watched those sad excuses of protectors beat up a puny Omega!" He couldn't understand how his brother could be such an idiot. Was it too much to ask him not to do this simple thing? Not to become like Maxie and him? Kayleb knew better than most how devastating it could be for anyone's personality to fall into this lifestyle.

"You did it yourself not so long ago!" Ian said matter-of-factly. "Why are you criticizing me when you did too? Worse, you got your hands bloody by beating them to a pulp!" Both brothers were at the point where they could erupt into their lycan forms at any moment. Never before had there been such an aggressive, intense tension between them.

"I've never beaten up an Omega or an innocent person in my life! They all did something stupid or dangerous to themselves or others. None of those I disciplined were ever below the rank of a normal wolf. Yes, they were weaker. But not helpless like Omegas are. However, only Alpha's are allowed to discipline Omegas."

Kayleb didn't have to justify himself in this case but did it anyway. Because he was anxious, his newfound friends might get the wrong impression of him. Finding someone who could handle his mood swings was difficult enough.

"Before you say anything else, little brother," Kayleb punctuated the part about their close connection with a wry undertone. "You'll find a different way to get home and to school every day! As long as you're with these pathetic thugs who attack helpless people. I won't see you as the brother I've known all my life."

With just these words, the anger faded from Ian's body. His mouth opened wide. He knows his brother's word is final.

"What?" he asked breathlessly as if someone had punched him so hard that all air had left his lungs. However, the anger on Kayleb's face remained. "But you taught me that I should be strong and wise in who I consider my friends. I've made friends with the strongest around, and they're excellent company if you let them show you that—" But Kayleb didn't let his brother finish his sad attempt to sway his brother's decision.

"Yes, I know. Because everything you can and everything you know comes from me. I taught you everything! From making friends to fighting and everything fucking else! There's a fine line between being strong and being a savage. I'm not proud of most things I've done, but it wasn't really me. Maxie always got me in these situations. Now that I can finally find out who I really am, I can't and won't watch you walk the same path we took. It destroyed us. It had the biggest impact on Maxie. After becoming someone everyone wanted to hang out with and later crowned the King of our school, he became something he had never been before; an asshole." With that, Kayleb took Clara by the hand and pulled her with him until they sat in their music class.

The room was always open, so they just slipped in.

He breathed heavenly and was obviously trying his best not to transform in school. All of his energy was used to hide the unique scent each lycan had so no one would notice his increasing bloodlust. But for this to work, he had to let go of some bits of his control: he had no other choice but partially transform until his rage about the situation was back in a manageable range. Not to weaken his mind too much, which his animalistic side would use to break free of his iron grip.