Chapter 63:

"Before I fight someone I don't have any problems with, could one of you tell me what's going on?"

For a moment, neither of the boys said anything. But Kayleb didn't get angry this time. He stayed calm and thanked his soulmate with a little glance for his help. He was glad that Dal had finally gotten out of his selfish mindset, making him even able to help calm him down.

For a second, the bloodsucker felt the lycan knew what he was. However, he thought no one knew anything about his kind anymore because they were almost extinct.

"Just have a snack to avoid dehydration. You know how it is."

The bloodsucker joked a little, but this one didn't go over well with anyone. Especially not Neil, who looked almost ready to kill him. The rest of the pack also became extremely angry at his words. So much so that they came closer to Neil to save him, but this time, Neil was the one who defied everyone else.

"Stop!" Neil shouted.

This caused his packmates to back away as the bloodsucker hugged him from behind. He flashed his fangs. At the same time, he showed his black eyes with blue and red streaks running through them. His eyes weren't static like most others. He was special. And everyone knew that now.

A loud clap caught everyone's attention. With a big grin, Kayleb clapped slowly. Not slow enough to be sarcastic, but slower than expected.

"Bravo!" he said excitedly. "You are Samuel Summer, or as the legends tell everyone, 'The Lone Prince of the Blood Islands,' right? It's such a pleasure to meet you. I always hoped that one day I would come across you. Just like my ancestors did long ago. But now I'm a little disappointed. I thought you would wield your sword, 'Bloodthirster,' Or even see your wings, as the legends tell us."

The lycan couldn't help but tease the much older man before him. He knew he was one of the first valakyl and now one of the last: an ancient species of bloodsuckers.

While Kayleb tormented the poor man, he was lucky to see his eyes return to their usual bright, ice-blue color. The switch looked amazing, in his opinion. His fangs retract, and he relaxed extensively around the smaller boy before him.

"I should have seen it sooner," he muttered, annoyed, "That anger-inducing shimmer of mischief in your eyes. You are just like your great-great-uncle, a damn little shit.

The wolves gasped loudly but waited for their Zaphal's reaction before ripping the disrespectful bastard's head off. But to everyone's surprise, Kayleb just laughed. A deep laugh. It wasn't rare, but it wasn't entirely normal after something like that either.

"Yeah, I've heard that once or twice before."

"I wonder why," the valakyl replied immediately, without wasting a heartbeat. "But you are wrong about one thing. My name."

For just a second, he caught the lycan's glare.

"Oh, I know Theodore Ellewik." Kayleb grinned as he saw the guy's face contort. "Before we become friends, you should explain yourself. I cannot allow anyone to hurt someone under my protection. You know, the family honor and all that nonsense, but also because Neil is a dear friend of mine."

Neil blushed ferociously at the sudden declaration of friendship and quickly turned his head to avoid his Zaphal's gaze. He always hoped to be his friend one day but never really knew whether he already was or not and could never bring himself to ask. But now that he knew, it was a relief. One that didn't go unnoticed by the valakyl and made him even a little jealous.

"Don't worry, little Neil isn't my type. I was clear about it."

"You are a lycan. It wouldn't have worked out even if you both wanted it. He is mine and always will be. I've waited a long time to hold him again.